Thread: Fishin Buddy battery corrosion

Default Fishin Buddy battery corrosion

Hi. I have a Hummingbird Fishin Buddy 120 i bought used earlier this year. Used it this spring with fresh batteries, and a few months later when i used it again, i noticed corrosion in the battery compartment (6 new AAs). I've borrowed a buddy's Fishin Buddy in the past, one of the early models branded as Bottom Line. That one too had battery corrosion issues (size C batteries).

Has anyone experienced this? And is there any way to prevent the corrosion besides removing the batteries when stored? I've just cleaned the current one with swabs and vinegar. I'm wondering if stuffing a small pack of desiccant inside might help. I do not submerge the head in water of course, and i only fish freshwater. I imagine it's minimal moisture that's causing this. I ran across a blog writer who said he used "dielectric grease to keep moisture out." Thanks for any help or related experiences.

eric
    fresno, ca.
    Last edited by epzamora; 10-09-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Maybe remove the batteries when not in use?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Eric,

I can't speak to your model.

I've two Fishin' Buddy II's that I bought in the late 90's, never had a problem. I pop the batteries out ( Takes what? Less than a minute to take them out of a FB2. ) when they'll be out of service for extended periods of time and I store the FB II's in the house, not the garage. I rubber band the batteries together, place in a heavy zip lock and store in my gear bag. Daily - week long use, the batteries stay in the units. The terminals and tray in my units look as clean and shiny as they were when they were new.

One thing with the FB II's telescoping shaft at the coupling, water can get by that union. If you invert the unit after use, whether carrying it or transporting it, some water can make it's way up the shaft and towards the handle / battery tray. I believe this was addressed in the original owners manual for that model year.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by epzamora View Post
    Hi. I have a Hummingbird Fishin Buddy 120 i bought used earlier this year. Used it this spring with fresh batteries, and a few months later when i used it again, i noticed corrosion in the battery compartment (6 new AAs). I've borrowed a buddy's Fishin Buddy in the past, one of the early models branded as Bottom Line. That one too had battery corrosion issues (size C batteries).

Has anyone experienced this? And is there any way to prevent the corrosion besides removing the batteries when stored? I've just cleaned the current one with swabs and vinegar. I'm wondering if stuffing a small pack of desiccant inside might help. I do not submerge the head in water of course, and i only fish freshwater. I imagine it's minimal moisture that's causing this. I ran across a blog writer who said he used "dielectric grease to keep moisture out." Thanks for any help or related experiences.

eric
    fresno, ca.
    Hi Eric, I had the exact same problem on my FB 110 model. I ended up calling Humminbird service dept and explained the situation and it was determined to try a new battery pack which mine also holds 6 AA batteries. The battery pack simply unplugs from the wires. They sent me a new battery pack for around 20 dollars including the shipping and that solved my problem. Lesson learned, I will remove batteries when not in use for long periods of time.

interesting. can you recall how the two battery packs differed in appearance and construction?

As i mentioned before, i was looking for a solution for NOT having to remove the batteries. I'm fine with removing them for long term storage, but it seems there's a design problem with short-term storage leading to corrosion. Something that should have taken into account conditions through the design phase of this product. afterall, it's designed to be used in and around water.

thanks

eric
    fresno, ca.

Quote Originally Posted by epzamora View Post
    interesting. can you recall how the two battery packs differed in appearance and construction?

As i mentioned before, i was looking for a solution for NOT having to remove the batteries. I'm fine with removing them for long term storage, but it seems there's a design problem with short-term storage leading to corrosion. Something that should have taken into account conditions through the design phase of this product. afterall, it's designed to be used in and around water.

thanks

eric
    fresno, ca.
    The battery packs are exactly the same, install 3 batteries on top, turn it over install 3 more on the bottom. The biggest design flaw I have encountered is the way the fish finder rides in its holster while attached to the side of the boat. I use an electric trolling motor for my pram and if I accelerate above 2 the FF wants to wiggle its way out of the plastic holster. I ended up using a bunggie{sp} to to keep the FF from falling out of the holder or holster.