Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Spey, What line?

Default Trout Spey, What line?

I've been thinking about getting one of those trout spey rods. Leaning towards the Echo TR 11'3 4 wt. Thinking about using it for half-pounders and for streamer fishing on the Truckee or Trinity during the summer months.

Question? What are most people lining these with? I have a 7wt spey and a 6w switch that are both set up with Skagit systems. Should I set this up the same way? There is one shop offering a free shooting head with the Rod. If I go that route am I correct in assuming all I need to fish it is some backing and running line?

I haven't cast it, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews of that rod. I think most people set these up with either skagit heads and sink tips (for streamers/bigger stuff) or a scandi line and versaleader (for buggy/smaller stuff). It seems like most people fishing it with skagit lines are using the new, very short heads (e.g., OPST Commando or Airflo Scout). Here is a line recommendation chart from echo: http://echoflyfishing.com/wp-content...mendations.pdf

You will need backing, running line, head and tip/leader (that goes for the skagit and scandi setups, but the backing and running line would be the same for each).

Hope that helps.

Godshall skandit line! Or Rio scandi body, but not sure if they go that low in grain weights

Also like the Río Scandi body. Use the 5wt on my Winston Micro Spey #4.

I use a 360 grain skagit on my 4 weight Micro spey and my works. I need to check that Rio scandi body that was mentioned.

another vote for Rio Scandi body and a 10' VL. i have a redington dually #5 use that set up for hackles/skaters and then a OPST commando for heavier stuff. seems to handle both reasonably well. i've got a few other heads i haven't tried on the rod yet.

i like the #5 as it goes well between small water steelhead, big trout, and i also use it at Pyramid for indicator fishing a bit. for the latter i use a #6 rio indicator line or a #5 integrated switch line both of which roll cast pretty nicely. i would feel undergunned on anything but trout and half pounders with a #4 rod.

Rio has information for most current rods on their website.

http://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/15440-m1/cms...d-7011ede31744

and for older rods

http://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/15440-m1/cms...7-c0e5f6f5d11f

I love fishing lightweight #4 and #5 switch rods a lot! For what you are describing, I personally would want a totally different set up personally, so take the following with a grain of salt. For half pounders I love the opportunity to hook fish on the lightest possible floating line, just because it’s such a rare treat to e able to fish that way and have semi frequent connections with aggressive fish. I have moved away from weighted flies or poly leaders for probably 99% of my HP fishing, and I’m still trending more and more towards the surface... For those purposes, it’s pretty hard to beat a good old fashioned Scandi head. I’d guess maybe in the 225-250 grain window for that rod?

For streamers, I guess it really, really depends how big and heavy you want to go, but a shorter Skagit type head offers some pretty big advantages. Particularly for bigger stuff, or if you are looking to do much stripping presentations. If you are talking smaller/ slower offerings, swinging, etc, then the Scandi body lines are perfect, I love the intermediate coupled with a super fast sinking poly leader (usually a 12’) and use it a fair bit for trout and a lot more swinging for shad! I do think they make a #4 Scandi body, but I only have the #5 (so far).
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Another vote for the Rio Scandi body. Will throw sinking versileaders and pretty big flies. Casts like a laser and cuts thru wind but lands lighter than a skagit. Lots of good skagit lines like the Commando or Scout heads or the new SA SpeyLite integrated lines if integrated is a possible. I still really like the Wulff Ambush integrated and now they have a short version. The Echo & Rio line charts seem to be reliable and even offer an "A" or "B" grain option if you need info on grain match ups. Lots of good choices like never before.

Echo website recommends 360 grain Skagit.

If you're only going to have one system, my vote would be for Skagit with mono running line. I use the Airflo Skagit Scout and love it. I would just buy another head Scandi / Rage / Ambush for smaller fly / floating line work.