Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why $130 for a fly line?

If SA told you they just made the best fly line in the world and they were $19.00 each-you wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole, however if they told you they were $135..you would automatically think they were great?

PS buy a RIO

Carl Blackledge

SA charges $135. for the line so that their $100. lines don't seem so absurdly expensive. I wish I had bought a basket of their LD Trout tapers before they discontinued one of the finest lake fishing lines ever made.

That is pretty steep for a fly line. TFO is helping out by selling Cortland lines for $40. You can always go to Cabelas and pick up their prestige line for around $40. If you check Sierra trading post and steep and cheap you can find some deals on discount lines. If fish saltwater, GT's, ono, ahi and coral heads are tough on fly lines. My favorite is cortland crystal clear floating line. Great for spooky ahi and bonefish. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Mems,

That Cortland crystal clear floating line hooked up with a crease fly down in Mexico where I fish is the BOMB , Between that and the Rio OBS, it's just about all you need....just love it

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Anybody know why SA is charging 130 bucks for their new Amplitude line series? I tried to investigate and see what the extra 40 bucks is worth compared to other premium lines and came up with nothing. I'm sensing a ploy to get anglers to spend more money because a higher price tag represents a more "premium" line?
    It's a new business model philosophy/approach...

Actually an old one with a different name.

SA = in the old days meant "Scientific Angler" and was conceived to imply that the manufacturer used actual science and emperical data and analysis to create the best possible fly lines.

Fast forward to modern day, spey era... all the research has been done so now it's about a new angle towards convincing consumers your (their) product is still superior (even without the science).

The acronym is the same = SA but it now stands for...

SA = Sucker Angle

Remember the MAD magazines with the fold out on the back page... I could see this drawn up as one of those...

Sadly the joke's ON YOU

It's all about the PROFIT. Best thing the consumer can do is not buy their line. Eventually they go on sale and all is good. Kind of reminds me of Simms outerwear. Way overpriced but a guy wants to look good out on the water. Funny thing is that the fish don't know if you're wearing Simms or Walmart. They don't know what line you're using either. Personally I don't know how I ever caught a fish all those years ago?

It would be interesting to hear from the manufacturer and see if there really is a basis for charging more or if it truly is all about profit and taking advantage of certain people. I do know some companies (pharmaceuticals especially) try to recoup R&D costs, so maybe that's part of it. The problem I see them facing is just what some have mentioned; if you can get a very good line for $50, why pay $130. But I can think of several items where paying the big bucks is often more prudent - tents, sleeping bags, raincoats come to mind. I wouldn't think of taking a tent from Big 5 to, say, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    It would be interesting to hear from the manufacturer and see if there really is a basis for charging more or if it truly is all about profit and taking advantage of certain people. I do know some companies (pharmaceuticals especially) try to recoup R&D costs, so maybe that's part of it. The problem I see them facing is just what some have mentioned; if you can get a very good line for $50, why pay $130. But I can think of several items where paying the big bucks is often more prudent - tents, sleeping bags, raincoats come to mind. I wouldn't think of taking a tent from Big 5 to, say, Alaska.
    I agree with you, John. I wish we had an SA rep on here who could chime in!