Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why $130 for a fly line?

Default Why $130 for a fly line?

Anybody know why SA is charging 130 bucks for their new Amplitude line series? I tried to investigate and see what the extra 40 bucks is worth compared to other premium lines and came up with nothing. I'm sensing a ploy to get anglers to spend more money because a higher price tag represents a more "premium" line?

I've been using 10 dollar ebay lines the last few years and it shows.

Default Costly Fly Lines

I can't imagine why we should pay $85 to $95, let alone $130. I only buy fly lines on sale and stock up when the opportunity comes up....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The industry realized fly lines are one of the fly fishing items most in demand, specially because of the spey, and that's why they are getting greedy. Does anybody remember when they said that felt soles would be outlaw all over the country.............they made a bundle with that lie........

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I can't imagine why we should pay $85 to $95, let alone $130. I only buy fly lines on sale and stock up when the opportunity comes up....
    Same with me! I have a hard time spending 50 bucks for a closeout fly line. I'm curious if there is some significant difference that I'm missing with these new SA lines. Maybe someone is in the know? All I see is a bunch of fluff words in the description like "ultimate" "supreme" "elite" "super"...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Agreed! I just can't see spending that kind of cash on a fly line that I know will not last me more than a couple seasons, or less...
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Agreed! I just can't see spending that kind of cash on a fly line that I know will not last me more than a couple seasons, or less...
    Unless you fish an incredible amount of days, if you take care of your lines they should last more than a couple of seasons. Yes, lines are too expensive, but people don't blink at spending $300-$400 on a trout reel that mostly will only get used to store that $100 line.

Everything you read about fly fishing equipment usually says when you are buying a fly fishing outfit to put the most money into a good quality fly line, but that doesn't have to cost $130.00.

Next of the outfit, in importance, is the fly rod.

Lastly, unless you are catching really big powerful fish, the reel is of less importance.

That said, Redington has a complete package, a fly rod, reel, backing, and fly line with a rod & reel case for about $150.00 that I get for my relatives and grand kids that works really well.

I have noticed that over the years when ever I pick up and cast a top fly fisher/guide's outfit it always feels so good.

Over the years when we had some really stiff/fast rods we had to over-line at least one size to get it to all cast right.

Today it is a little less of a problem.

There is an advantage to going into a good fly shop and getting some advice on a new fly line that will work for you best.

Today they make dozens of different floating fly lines so it can be confusing.

Rio sells more fly lines than anyone else today and they have their entry level "Mainstream" lines from $39.95 that will work well for most.

I think the Rio 'Gold' is still the top pick in the industry at $79.95

Some people who don't get to go fly fishing much might get 10 to 20 years out of a fly line if it is keep inside.

Those who fish or guide 200 days a year might not get a year out of their lines.

Some unscrupulous fly fishing retailers might tell their customers that if they can't afford a new SA/Mastery $130.00 fly line they better stay home and watch it on YouTube?

Only a few fly fishers will come in and buy one of those new lines.

I doubt if it will be a top seller unless it cast over 100 feet with ease for beginners?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Other than on my two hand rods I use plain old DT and WF lines. None of the 'Cold Water' - Steelhead - or any of the other supposedly specialized lines. I will admit to having done so little single hand casting over the past ten years that I am not an authority on today's fly line market. I have however cast many many years using DT lines on my rods and never felt that I couldn't cast. I'm one of those stubborn types who doesn't buy lines or rods based on whatever the marketing is saying about them. I just do my thing like always, I go fishing and somehow regardless of weather or conditions I manage a few fish .

There are always lines for sale that come in way below the numbers you've quoted. I have three identical rods that are all lined with Beulah Elixir lines, full lines not just heads and I paid around 30 dollars for them. They were an old color and were sold to make way for the new. I can fling one of those cheap Elixir's farther than one may believe off an 11'6" Swift. We just have to shop and be willing to fish older technology unless you're ready to pony up for the new things.

The Spey rods? I've taken to using the custom lines made by S. Godshall down in Medford OR. for them, four years now. They are great and I can get the belly length I want.

Hey Ard,
    Glad to see that you're still alive and breathing. Figured you've been off working on that book for awhile.
    Best to you, Nancy and Boss.
    Larry S
    Sun Diego