Thread: Redington VICE - Am I alone here?

Default Redington VICE - Am I alone here?

Hey everyone, started this thread to get some feedback on those who have used the VICE and also those who have broken rods at the ferrels.

Long story short, I have broken 4 VICE rods at the ferrels. 4! 2 Different lengths. Broken my 10'0 7 wt twice, and my 9'6" 7 wt twice. I wanted to love this rod. I like light weight rods and boy it's light.

Fished for both Trinity Steelhead and Pyramid Cutties on these rods. Every time it broke, I could see the ferrels splitting and knew it was a matter of time. The 9'6" was mostly used for throwing the 7 wt Sonar Titan Line.(240 grain). I could tell, it was struggling to handle the load in the middle of the rod but I had no other options.

SNAP. Done again. I must be honest, I have used other cheaper 7wt rods that have lasted years...

Redington's response, "Maybe you should upgrade to an 8wt..." I must admit, they didn't charge me the warranty for two of the rods last year. And their warranty crew has been a lot more reasonable, waiving the cost at the 2nd break....but...

What's your feedback? Am I overloading this rod?

Nope. Not overloading. There is something to this........

I have a Vice 3wt. The tip section has broken twice while fishing. Once, just fighting a 10" trout. The second time it snapped while trying to unsnag from a rock.

Redington offered no explanation, but did charge me the $50 replacement. I love the rods themselves, but if this happens again, I'm gonna have to take it up with them.

I can tell you that we test lots of imported, high value fly rods in the salt water and found that the Redington 'Predators' were the strongest ones.

Not sure about the VICE.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Redington VICE....

I think you've answered your own question:

"....Every time it broke, I could see the ferrels splitting and knew it was a matter of time. The 9'6" was mostly used for throwing the 7 wt Sonar Titan Line.(240 grain). I could tell, it was struggling to handle the load in the middle of the rod but I had no other options."

Your rod apparently doesn't have the backbone for the line you were casting on it. Choices: use a lighter line or get a stouter rod.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post

"....Every time it broke, I could see the ferrels splitting and knew it was a matter of time. The 9'6" was mostly used for throwing the 7 wt Sonar Titan Line.(240 grain). I could tell, it was struggling to handle the load in the middle of the rod but I had no other options."

Your rod apparently doesn't have the backbone for the line you were casting on it. Choices: use a lighter line or get a stouter rod.
    Darian, as usual you post the perfect analysis!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post

Weird because the line choice said 7wt, I guess I have to break a rod then figure out that the 7wt line is is “too much load” for a 7 wt Rod?. Weird marketing strategy in my opinion. Bummer if you ask me.
    Last edited by SanJoseBass; 12-07-2017 at 06:14 PM.

I think the problem is we lost our standard form of nomenclature for line weights. I have a 7 weight Rio line that is 265 grains - what's that, a 10 weight in the old nomenclature? I don't know who is wrong (line or rod) but we are kinda overloading things. I have a 5 weight Rio Grand that is 165 grains and would surely snap one of my older Fenwicks. Lastly I have a beautiful 7-8 weight Powell Summer Run that I did bust with an 8 weight type 6 that was north of 300 grains. It's annoying- I wish the grain window would be posted on rods!

Default Line/Rod Weights

John Sv,.... Good suggestion about noting the grain window on rods. It seems like the only way to be sure about the match anymore is to test cast lines on rods before buying....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Good afternoon. I apologize for bringing up such an old topic. I just couldn't find anything like it. My father loves fishing and his birthday is coming up soon. He has a Redington fishing rod, but it is already quite old and would like to give him a newer model of the Redington Classic trout fly rod.

see this.

What do you have to say about her? Still here is a video review found.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorit View Post
    Good afternoon. I apologize for bringing up such an old topic. I just couldn't find anything like it. My father loves fishing and his birthday is coming up soon. He has a Redington fishing rod, but it is already quite old and would like to give him a newer model of the Redington Classic trout fly rod.

see this.

What do you have to say about her? Still here is a video review found.

One of the best rods for its price. Also consider adding the new Redington Zero fly reel-- you should be able to get both for under $220.

Jim