Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a shorter lighter fly rod for small stream dry fly fishing?

In the 1970s we sold many of the Fenwick Farelite fiberglass fly rods that were very nice and extremely popular.

Our best seller for stream trout was the FF805 which was 8' #5 line in 2 piece.

Indicator nymphing and graphite materials had not existed and more than 2 piece rods were not very good.

I bought back an FF805 from a good old friend who still had one.

I put a really nice old Pflueger Medaslist 1494 reel on it.

I enjoy dry fly fishing with it now.

I think an older fiberglass Scott, Winston, Powell, or Fisher would be fun as well.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

St. Croix Legend Ultra 7'9" 3wt, Bauer LM1, Rio Trout LT WF3F.

Once we sold a customer a really nice small stream rod they would use it more than their larger rod.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My first "real" fly rod was a Fisher Original 9' #5/6 - 4 piece. Still have that rig and fish it very seldom.

Seemed big so I picked up an Orvis Far & Fine 7'9" 5 wt. What a sweet stick - you just looked where you wanted it to go and there it went.

Gave it to a friends a few years back who was interested in learning, she never used it since then.

Still makes me sad...

Yep, bought it at your shop. Sage Vantage 3wt in 7 feet. Amazing little rod, true to line wt, casts very well, great for small pocket water.

I have 2. A 1925 Hardy bamboo 7' 4" either a Marvel or a Princess 3 wt. No markings other than the Hardy logo and number stamp on the one of the sliding bands (reel seat) and that it was sold by the BH Dyas Co. in L.A.
    The other is a bamboo (Chinese) 7' 6" I bought as a blank based off of a T & T Canis taper a couple of years ago. Both rods are awesome on small streams.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

I still love my Sage LL 7'9" #3 wt. It has not been used for some time but it will be buried with me. They say you can't take it with you when you go, but what if they're wrong!

i had a Dan Craft FTL (?) 8 foot 6-piece 3wt i wrapped years ago, loved that rod with its Struble D-27 reel seat. Stolen 2 months after i finished wrapping it, fished it 3-4 times on a section of the JMT, maybe twice more after the trip.

I was fishing my Cabelas 7'-1" one piece fiberglass Prime (4-5wt?) last week. nice with a fish on.

eric
    fresno, ca.

Those smaller stream rods are my favorites. One in particular is the 8 foot 3 wt. Winston glass, there is so much flex in this rod, I have to stop high on my forward cast, if I take the rod to parallel with the water on the forward cast--
    the tip hits the rocks in front of me if I'm standing in the middle of a creek. Wouldn't want to keep that up for very long.

RDP 5-8 0wt. It's a new rod with only 3 fish to its name.