Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue River has been good.....more feedback.

Default Rogue River has been good.....more feedback.

"Hi Bill

Rogue River on Sunday....... about 22”..... quick pic back in the water and off she went.

Four aerial displays and one run upriver.

David P."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rogue.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	13432  
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    "Hi Bill

Rogue River on Sunday....... about 22”..... quick pic back in the water and off she went.

Four aerial displays and one run upriver.

David P."
    Nice fish but....

HIYA SANDY!

SAY! HOW YA' DOIN' GIL?

OH, PRETTY SANDY, SANDY...

WELL HATE TO CUT IT SHORT BUT LOOKS LIKE THAT GUY GOT MY PHOTO SO I'M OUTA HERE...

FLOOOOOOOO! WOW AM I EVER HAPPY TO SEE YOU FLO.

I FEEL YA GIL

FLO~!!! OOH OOOHHOO OHOOOOOOO, STOP. THAT TICKLES

C'MON GIL... IT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU ALIVE NOW ROLL WITH ME HERE AND BE HEALTHY AND FREEEEEEEEEEE

YAH, I S'POSE I'D BETTER GO WITH YA FLOW; I DON'T WANNA GET TIED DOWN AGAIN....

'CUZ EVERYONE KNOWS A FISH IS MORE DANDY WHEN 'GILL' DOESN'T GET CAUGHT UP WITH SANDY...

Our Steelhead/Salmon category is......................?

CA DF&G biologist said that sport fishing had no measurable effect on fish populations.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Nice fish but....

HIYA SANDY!

SAY! HOW YA' DOIN' GIL?

OH, PRETTY SANDY, SANDY...

WELL HATE TO CUT IT SHORT BUT LOOKS LIKE THAT GUY GOT MY PHOTO SO I'M OUTA HERE...

FLOOOOOOOO! WOW AM I EVER HAPPY TO SEE YOU FLO.

I FEEL YA GIL

FLO~!!! OOH OOOHHOO OHOOOOOOO, STOP. THAT TICKLES

C'MON GIL... IT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU ALIVE NOW ROLL WITH ME HERE AND BE HEALTHY AND FREEEEEEEEEEE

YAH, I S'POSE I'D BETTER GO WITH YA FLOW; I DON'T WANNA GET TIED DOWN AGAIN....

'CUZ EVERYONE KNOWS A FISH IS MORE DANDY WHEN 'GILL' DOESN'T GET CAUGHT UP WITH SANDY...
    TL;DR - Don't lay your fish on the dirt for pictures. Keep 'em wet.

CA DF&G biologist said that sport fishing had no measurable effect on fish populations.

Commercial fishing for big numbers is what is taking a toll on fish numbers. Not sport guys (well in by books sport guys that do it by the damn book) that take big numbers ie snaggers and guys that are out there taking a daily limit three, four times a day. But hey what do I know........!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Probably true in a big picture sense, but it still makes sense to handle our fish with care and respect. I know I'm not the only one who has seen fish killed by poor handling on the part of sport anglers (saw several bright but dead steelhead on the river bottom recently on the lower Rogue). We could all probably do our part to set good examples for others, but I also hope we don't overly chastise those who do offer to share some pics that may not live up to the highest of standards. Not bashing anyone here, and I do like to see some nice fish pics during those times I can't get to fish myself. I have to say that seeing pics of fish layed on rocks or shore don't really do it for me though; it would be great to see a lot more pics of fish that look a bit more in their element...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Probably true in a big picture sense, but it still makes sense to handle our fish with care and respect. I know I'm not the only one who has seen fish killed by poor handling on the part of sport anglers (saw several bright but dead steelhead on the river bottom recently on the lower Rogue). We could all probably do our part to set good examples for others, but I also hope we don't overly chastise those who do offer to share some pics that may not live up to the highest of standards. Not bashing anyone here, and I do like to see some nice fish pics during those times I can't get to fish myself. I have to say that seeing pics of fish layed on rocks or shore don't really do it for me though; it would be great to see a lot more pics of fish that look a bit more in their element...
    JB

A couple years back I was at sailor bar watching the "fly guys" or rather said "Bobber guys" (Hahaha) fishing during steelhead season... one guy pulls up a fish that was dark. Let's it flop around like crazy on the rocks. Then pulls out a camera after a bit of time of flop wars with the fish. Takes a pic and releases it! I thought he was going to keep it. Nope let it go. Had a face palm moment O_o !! I can't find a reason for such acts! But there are always some that do it. Try to keep em wet if you are going to release a fish!

I have fished barbless for everything since 1975 and almost never touch the fish.

I do like to get a very quick picture once and a while though.

I think it has made it easier for many to let fish go if they can get a good picture of them.

Wild fish are precious so we need to be very careful with them.

We need to help educate others without alienating or offending them.

I also think it is OK to keep a fish on occasion and eat it fresh.

As long as people go by the fish and game laws I guess we can't say too much to them.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I am of the mind that (as Bill said) sport fishing and even harvesting daily limits has absolutely no negligible effect on a fishery which is sustained primarily by artificial means (hatcheries).

I personally harvest quite a few fish on the American; most chrome salmon I catch, several steelhead I catch and some striper but only those under 10lbs... I know that the hatchery will get its quota of eggs and that the in-river production is negligible and other limiting factors make angler harvest a moot point.

However, I do not EVER remove a fish from the water to get a photo unless I intend to kill and eat it.

Regardless if a fish is hatchery or native, I will always handle any fish I plan to release with utmost care and respect because it gives the fish the best odds.

I don't like to be preachy and so I made up the creative/funny (?) little anecdotal story about 2 fish.

It was my way of making a positive suggestion in a fun rather than harsh/judgemental way...

PEACE OUT

Thanks Steelies

I think we are all passionate about our fishing and I appreciate your honest feedback.

I was a pretty much catch-n-release guy for a long time but now that I have grand children I want them to be able to eat a few fresh fish once and a while to experience it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958