Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antelope Creek in CA

Default Antelope Creek in CA

I was doing some looking around and came across a vendor that sold a specific fly box for Antelope Creek in CA. In looking in to it further I found that there are three separate creeks in CA called Antelope Creek. One in Roseville, one on the flanks of Mount Lassen, that dumps in to the Sac and one above Shasta (has Antelope Creek Lodge).

Anybody with thoughts or experiences with fishing these three creeks?

I wonder which of these three the vendor was targeting with their fly box?

Regards,

Tim C.

I'll know more about this next week. I have a guys' camping trip this weekend on Antelope Creek. I haven't been there before so I'll be following directions to the camping spot. Apparently it's the one above Shasta. I'm just bringing the 3 wt and dry flies - oh, and cigars and beer and a steak. It would be nice to have someone post some info before I take off on Friday.

There's tons of little browns in there as well as a few big stocker bows if you're talking about the antelope creek by Tennant, CA. Lots of other smaller creeks in the area as well with good populations of brown trout

Hi, Garrett. Yes, near Tennant is where we are headed. Any suggestions on creeks or patterns would be much appreciated.

That fly box is probably from The Fly Shop who owns the private water called Antelope Creek Ranch, north of mount Shasta.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    Hi, Garrett. Yes, near Tennant is where we are headed. Any suggestions on creeks or patterns would be much appreciated.
    Some of the creeks up there have McCloud Redbands, pretty easy to find out which ones with a google search. Check the regs and practice careful C&R. McCloud isn't close, but not far either, and it's almost October Caddis time. Same on the Upper Sac. Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir is full of good info, and generally generous with it.

Usually on those small creeks the fish are not particularly hatch driven. I've always done well with attractor dries and nymphs, usually size is more important to get right than the specific pattern.

Thank you. Good idea to stop at Ted Fay's - since I'll be stopping at the Dunsmuir Brewing Co for a burger. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sorry, Tim. I didn't mean to step in the way of your post.

No problem John, it's all good. I did get some info which is what I was interested in.

Still wondering about the one that comes off of Lassen it seems to kind of parallel Mill creek and Deer creek.

Got some interesting photos from a kayaking website.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 09-26-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Ya, guessing that box is for the fly shop property, above Mt Shasta. It's a private lodge with stream and ponds. Never fished it

I have fished the Antelope and it's forks that come off Lassen and flow into Sac. Ya, they parrallel Battle, Mill, and Deer Creeks.

Spent a few times on the lower section, in Tehema Wilderness, off Payne Creek Rd I think. I think I've only ever been there early in the season. I think they used to stock it, but not anymore. It's been decent the times I have gone. There is a campground, on the lower section and you can work your way both up and downstream. Some spots are tight and need to swim certain times of the year. There was a good artixcle in CA Fly Fisher, many years ago, by Chip O'Brien, if memory serves me right

The forks of Antelope are a bit higher up than the Tehema Wilderness, and full of small natives. fun fishing. Did a trip once where we worked our way from Antelope Creek, over to Deer Creek, taking the forest roads, and passing by the forks of Antelope as well as Mill Creek, and ended on Deer Creek in Ishi Wilderness, just below Red Bridge. Pretty country

Raffi "Rafdawg_34"