Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klamath Report 9/21-9/23

Default Klamath Report 9/21-9/23

We (Eric O. and myself) fished in the Orleans area Thurs-Sat. Eric arrived on Thursday and got a few nice 1/2 pounders up to 19". I arrived Thurs evening. We fished a couple of our favorite spots on Friday with marginal results. Only a few hp's each, nothing to write home about. No fish over 18", except a 20" jack salmon, which was in really nice shape.

Saturday morning, as we were preparing to head to the river, our neighbor at the campground came up and asked us if we wanted to float the river with him, as his shuttle partners wouldn't be coming until Monday. Of course we obliged and had a great float from Ulathorne down to Big Bar. However, the fishing was pretty slow again. We all managed some hp's, but again......nothing of any size, the largest fish being 19" or so.

We definitely saw lots of fish splashing and moving up through tailouts, but they just didn't seem to be real grabby this time around. Water temps were nice and cool, flows were perfect, crowds non-existent, weather perfect, etc. But the fishing was very slow for us.

Maybe we were late to the party and missed the first good push of fish? Who knows. But next year, we're not waiting around for reports. Gonna head up there maybe a week or two earlier. When I lived in Eureka, I used to do really good up in Orleans the first two weeks of September. So that's the plan for next year.

All in all, it's always a great trip to the Klamath, but the fishing has definitely slowed the last few years for reasons unknown to me.

~Jeff

Floating the rivers is definitely an advantage being able to hit multiple riffles.

Will be interesting to see how it goes in Oct/Nov.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'll be up in Weitchpec next starting weekend for a week. Would a drive up to the Rogue be manageable? Maybe spend a night in Grants Pass and eat a night at my place in Weitchpec?

Probably fewer fish in the system overall. 70's and mid 80's we had tremendous fishing but like all rivers the counts are down��

Quote Originally Posted by Trouter925 View Post
    I'll be up in Weitchpec next starting weekend for a week. Would a drive up to the Rogue be manageable? Maybe spend a night in Grants Pass and eat a night at my place in Weitchpec?
    It is 4-1/2 hrs to Grants Pass... I'd take Hwy 96 to I-5 (3hrs) and then I-5 to Grants Pass (1-1/2hrs) .

Are you boating or wading near Weitchpec?

Good Luck,

Jim

I don't have a boat...I was planning on driving up & down 96, fishing as a I went until I found fish... Maybe skip over to the Trinity and check that out as well. My first time up there so I'll be doing a lot of exploring.

Contact the Ashland Fly Shop. They seem to have a handle on what's going on in that area.

A few pics from the trip. First fish was very hot and put a nice bend in my 7wt
    with several reel screams and jumps. He was hooked right in the nose and wasn't
    going anywhere on 1x.

One of the most respectable battles from the trip was, what I thought, a real nice
    half pounder. Yanked line from my reel, head shakes, a few upstream runs...when I
    get this thing in, it was pushing maybe 13.5".

The fight of a steelhead always impresses me, especially the ones that go ballastic.

Found some nice taps in Weaverville Wednesday night...Stagecoach Pizza has some
    rockin pizza and good beers on tap...Fall River Hexagenia IPA, Founders, Union Jack,
    and Stella. It was a great way to begin the trip.

Eric O
    Last edited by EricO; 09-26-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks Eric.......nice pictures.

The Klamath River is very special to many of us and I hope we can get some new people bonded with it.

Most of the time many of use fish it with only a floating line, long leader and small Steelhead flies or #10/12 nymphs.

Swinging flies is normally as successful as indicator nymphing on the Klamath.

You can fish it from just above Hwy 1 bridge near the Pacific Ocean by jet boat then walk and wade or drift in a boat from all the way to Iron Gate Dam just above Interstate 5.

Anyone needing info on getting a trip together please contact me for any help.

Sept/Oct/Nov can all be good.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

so you guys drove thru the Helena / JC area and had no road closure issues?
    How did it look? everything burnt down?
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless