Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: raft experiences

Default raft experiences

I am considering taking the plunge and buying a small raft to get myself and my gf out on the water together. The primary rivers we would use it on are the Yuba, the Trinity, the Sac (lower/upper) and possibly the Klamath.

The models I am considering are:

Smithfly big shoals: https://smithfly.myshopify.com/products/big-shoals-raft

Creek Co T-Rex: https://creekcompany.com/product.php...cat=282&page=1

Flycraft Stealth: https://www.flycraftusa.com/pages/stealth-boat-packages

OSG striker: http://www.outcastboats.com/osg-rafts/osg-striker.asp

I'd love to hear folks first hand experiences with any of these models. Right now I am sort of leaning toward the Smithfly because of the 3rd seat and the great reviews on the stability of the floor...However that might move us from a situation where we would need a trailer.

I would investigate patching raft material.....eventually it will happen.
    Some rafts patch easily, some Chinese rafts don't.....lurk on rafters sites....
    And....the narrower the more tipsy....

Jim

PV- those are some serious boats and unless you plan to expand to run some real whitewater or do some multi-day trips, they are all overkill on those N Cal rivers... and you are getting near the price point for a used drift boat. Plus if you do not trailer them, you will spend 1-2 hrs between setup and takedown time ( Striker a little less).

You stated the object is to get your GF on the water, so I would consider boats that you can use on rivers and Stillwater which means a good motor mount (also big asset on Lower Sacto so you can go back upstream and fish a run again). PLUS, if she is like my wife, she wants to be comfortable- good seat back and a floor that is stable when standing.

Also, weight should be a consideration-- can it be moved by you & GF-- or by you alone on a dolly?

I am not a fan of Dave Scadden, but the Dragonfly and Assault series have 10ft and 12ft boats that can be used in one, two and three person setups... with or without a frame. Looks like he has adopted the time-tested Sea Eagle motor mount. Scadden is always running sales, so his boats end up being priced well.

For the waters you listed plus stillwater. You should consider the frameless Sea Eagle STS 10 from their Pro Series fishing rafts. Hard back swivel seats, solid floor and set up for fishing. Boat is advertised using the Honda 2.3hp gas motor. About half the price, easier to set up, stores in a car trunk and can be transported fully-loaded by one person on a dolly.

LINK:
    https://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessFi...0Boats%20STS10

BUT- I have been married 45 years and my wife is lukewarm about fishing-- so I have found it better to hire a guide who will make her day more enjoyable with less work. Cost a little more over the years, but it has worked for me. Maybe it is like tent camping vs RV.
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-23-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    I am not a fan of Dave Scadden, but the Dragonfly and Assault series have 10ft and 12ft boats that can be used in one, two and three person setups... with or without a frame. Looks like he has adopted the time-tested Sea Eagle motor mount. Scadden is always running sales, so his boats end up being priced well.

For the waters you listed plus Stillwater. You should consider the frameless Sea Eagle STS 10 from their Pro Series fishing rafts. Hard back swivel seats, solid floor and set up for fishing. Boat is advertised using the Honda 2.3hp gas motor. About half the price, easier to set up, stores in a car trunk and can be transported fully-loaded by one person on a dolly.
    Thanks to both you and bigfly for the input so far, very helpful!

Sorry, to clarify on the boats I listed, we could go car-top with all of the ones I mentioned except the SmithFly. We both have SUVs with roof racks. Between the two of us we are fine moving a 100# raft I am sure.

A few issues I see w/ the Scadden boats - they're not that much cheaper (XT2 and XT3 are $2400 and $2600 respectively), don't offer integrated anchor systems controlled by the rower, leanbars are not movable or removable based on what I can tell, no options for rear gear platform on the back of the boat. The new Adventure Craft models don't look all that great for standing up in...especially in moving water.

We are mostly moving water anglers, I fish a bit on Pyramid (ladder) and Heenan/Milton (pontoon)...maybe with a boat we would get into it more, I don't know. A buddy recently got the STS10 and I need to pay him a visit and take a look at it. I see some of the same challenges there (namely no integrated anchor option and no lean bars).

I don't want a driftboat because of the storage issue, the weight/size, necessity for a trailer and in the future we intend to get a small travel trailer so having a break down boat we can deflate and bring with us or strap to the top of the car/trailer makes the most sense.

I would consider talking to Jason Bates. He’s a member on here (username is JasonB) who has many many years of rafting and kayaking experience on rivers. I was considering buying a pontoon or a water master until I spoke with him about it. Where most folks tend to think these “class V rated” crafts are overkill, might prove to be not enough raft after you actually get on the water with them. I’m sure Jason will come across this tread shortly and chime in. Not trying to negate everyone else’s opinions but if I were you, I’d seriously consider hearing his thoughts on the matter before you go and drop a couple grand. Sure did save me some $$!

PV,

Save your money, you can buy an old beat up drift boat for $1500. Or drift boat guides are a dime a dozen, hire one a few times a year and save all the doe that you would spend on a raft....then if you can't live without a raft, buy a used one for half price...that's a lot of doe for a raft....just my 2 cents

Carl*

I own the Striker, I went through this decision making process a few years back.

The Flycraft and Shoalcraft aren't great in heavier water.

Scadden's warranty and QA can be non existent.

With a car powered pump the striker set's up in 10 mins max. It's easy to fold up and fits well in the car, it rows well, easy to move around, and Outcast has great customer service. I mainly fish the S. Fork, Snake, Henry's Fork etc. I have friends who've done main Salmon trips with them. Great little boats for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    I would consider talking to Jason Bates. He’s a member on here (username is JasonB) who has many many years of rafting and kayaking experience on rivers. I was considering buying a pontoon or a water master until I spoke with him about it. Where most folks tend to think these “class V rated” crafts are overkill, might prove to be not enough raft after you actually get on the water with them. I’m sure Jason will come across this tread shortly and chime in. Not trying to negate everyone else’s opinions but if I were you, I’d seriously consider hearing his thoughts on the matter before you go and drop a couple grand. Sure did save me some $$!
    I tend to think of boats a bit like fly rods; any of them can be great for certain purposes, and not at all ideal for others. If money weren't an issue I could easily justify "needing" quite a few. I think that there are some really good suggestions so far. The big questions to really sort out would be:
    Where- what kinds of water and what kinds of access, day trips only, or overnight as well? Etc
    Who- solo, one other or? What level of experience do they have, and what sorts of physical issues might they have?
    How- how will you store, maintain, transport, rig, and row it? Do you only want it to travel from spot to spot, or do you want something to fish from? These last ones to me are really big (and limiting) issues!

I am a big fan of drift boats for ease of handling and comfort ... but, they do have some big limitations in terms of access, storage, and are much less forgiving in heavier whitewater. We have a 14' raft rigged for fly fishing specifically, and love it! The big issue is that it would take much too much time to rig/de-rig every time so we store/haul it with a trailer. There are lots of places that eliminates, luckily we have kayaks that can be used very well to access many of those.

While many of the smaller rafts might be capable of handling some class 4 water in the right hands, most folks really shouldn't take them down anything nearly that substantial. What may well be a much more important consideration would be just how stable the boat would be for casting purposes. Ideally, I don't think I could ever make those kinds of choices without at least being able to physically check the boats out in a shop (or better yet, on the water!)... kind of like buying a car you've never sat in or driven. Something else to consider, once you have a boat you may be tempted to float a few more rivers than you think.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

PV- if you are okay with $2,500- $4,000, and you want to do something more than our Class II N Cal rivers, then consider the following:

a friend in WA state just told me he & his wife have a Catchercraft SRB 10-1/2ft self-bailing raft (well known and respected brand made in WA has a large cult following among steelheaders and whitewater junkies) has 17" tubes & 4ft wide so they transport in a truck bed. The manufacturer will customize the frame. His has 2 folding lean bars, anchor system and motor mount . He said the company is just east of Seattle and will let you borrow any of their rafts to test on moving water. They also have a 9ft SRC with 17" tubes and a frame that can be user-changed to set up 1 person or 2 person.

http://www.catchercraft.com/srbsearunbull/

NRS AIRE rafts are serious whitewater boats plus NRS has frames that will make any of their rafts into fishing boats. Their component frame design allows you to assemble a frame with the options you want. With quality comes weight and cost... but these are for serious water and serious fishing... you will probably end up in the same price range, but you will have the best.

https://www.nrs.com/?avad=55743_df96..._medium=banner

PV- I have no idea on your water skills, so this is not directed at you. I agree with JasonB that most people who own personal fishing pontoons/rafts should stick to Class II or less.... a Class IV boat does not make up for Class II skills.
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-24-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Hi,
    I believe someone asked-What are your river skills? Do you plan on rafting class III? Are these river trips day trips or multi-day trips?

Do you prefer to use raft as transport then walk and wade?

This is my take on your information. I have a tandem Aire Caracal kayak that I use both on rivers (lower American and lakes) for day trips. I have taken this kayak on South Fork American-class III run because this kayak was built for whitewater. On the lower American, I float down river and then wade. In the Forebay, I mostly anchor. I purchased the Aire because it only weighed 35lbs and that was one of my biggest reason.

You might consider two inflatable single white water kayaks. I don't recommend you do Class III rivers unless you both have river skills. I find the inflatable kayaks very stable floating down a class II or lake fishing.

Good luck
    Mark