Thread: Airflo Tactical Compact heads

Default Airflo Tactical Compact heads

Would an Airflo Tactical Compact head be suitable for a 15' St Croix Imperial 10/11 weight? I found a Lamson Litespeed LS4 at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and looking to use it on that St Croix. Kiene's has the head on sale In a 800 grain and, I think, a 720 grain. I've used the rod several times with a Spey line and tips but not really to impressed. I've got a Skagit Compact on my switch rod and really enjoy that. Looking to get some use out of this St Croix, maybe dredging for Salmon.

Compact heads are primarily used on two handed rods less than 12'6" in length. Instead, a long Skagit head (RIO Skagit Max Long) would be a better choice since your rod is 15'. These slightly longer heads make it easier to keep the anchor point established. Add an extra heavy MOW tip and some tippet a fly and fish. Hope this helps. -JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Thanks Jeff. I talked to Gary at Kiene's and he suggested the same line (great minds think alike) but they had an Airflo Tactical Compact 820 grain setting there on the table for only $21.88 so I punched the "Submit" button. Years ago I purchased a Spey multi-tip for this rod in a 10/11 wt and that works okay. Figured I'd try something different.