Thread: Hare and CDC

Default Hare and CDC

I am on a mission to finish "50 Shades Of Hare's Ear." Meaning 50 different versions of fly ties with hare's ear. I believe I have 37 of them done currently!

CDC for the tail- sparse
    Body wrapped with gold ribbing followed by pearl tinsel.
    CDC and hare's ear spun in a loop for the thorax.

You shoulda been here yesterday!

Have you fished this pattern yet? Just wondering if it is fished unweighted and tied without the wire, if it might sit on the film or just under.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Have you fished this pattern yet? Just wondering if it is fished unweighted and tied without the wire, if it might sit on the film or just under.
    The CDC in this particular pattern is added for nothing more than movement- akin to adding CDC to a Prince, e.g. However, I normally weight it slightly and fish it as a dropper in conjunction a heavily weighted Czech style fly down to a size 18.

If you choose the pattern can be tied and fished on a lightweight Klinkhammer hook, too. I would recommend adding a little CDC dubbing to the hare's ear in the body, a little more CDC to the thorax and possibly greasing the leader (if needed).

Hope this helps.
    You shoulda been here yesterday!

Thanks! I like it!! I've been a fan Hares Ears for, well, probably 50 years or more. Used to have a big box full of mixed dubbing made with hare and what ever took my fancy at the time. One of my favorite combos was hare and belly fur from our local Idaho red squirrels. Readily available around my home as they like to play chicken with cars.

Lately I've been hooked on that DMC thread for tying but a HE Flashback has caught me more fish then anything else. Keep putting your creations out there for us. I, for one, still have a few ears left.
    Last edited by Idadon; 09-22-2017 at 07:15 AM.

The Hare's Ear nymph has been around a long time and it has been in the top 10 list of the most popular traditional nymph forever.

When I started selling flies about 50 years ago in Sacramento in a big sporting goods store honestly, nymphs were kind of the new thing.

Back then we had a big selection of classic wet flies that was larger than the selection of nymphs.

We also had a huge selection of classic old streamers that were tied on very long shanked limerick bend hooks.

Naturally we had all the classic dry flies that sold like hot cakes too.

The bead head nymph came along less than 20 years ago.

Today with indicator angling being so popular bead head nymphs are the most popular type of flies sold today.

At that time Steelhead where being caught mostly with indicators and nymphs so Steelhead fly sales were way down.

Now with the popularity of two handed/Spey fishing we have a very large selection of Steelhead flies at the store again.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

I was told by Sage and Loomis reps, the bead headed flies was the biggest cause of rod repairs.

Carl