Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webber and Independence Lakes update

Default Webber and Independence Lakes update

Hi,
    Webber has cooled off sufficiently so that the fish are back on top. Independence is fishing better than before but is always slow for fly fishermen. It has been really windy so check the forecast. Generally if there is 10-15s for Tahoe it will be ripping at both Webber and Independence. Not necessarily bad for fishing but it makes for rough boating. On Independence the marina is shut down if it is too windy.
    BTW the Webber campground has decent availablity until the Oct 15 closing.
    Thanks!

Thanks John......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey John,

Is the fly of choice for Webber Lake pretty much Wooly Buggers?

Any type of Callibaetis mayfly hatch that comes off there?

Eric

Yes Callibaetis are present and when the fish are rising ( they are now), they'll take an Adams parachute.

Some people fish a #12 Sheep Creek all year pretty well.

An olive copr head bugger in an #8 is the ticket if they are not too deep to fly fish for but aren't on or near the top.

It can be a 3 fly fishery.

People do well trolling small Dick Nite's or Needlefish, so maybe a shiny Zonked trolled slowly?

I spent the weekend at Webber Lake at the beginning of the month. Campsites are awesome. Very clean and was shocked that there was no carving or graffiti on the picnic tables. We loved it there and a great family campsite.

I fished a Wooly Bugger in olive with a black Copper John. Caught fish on both And good luck keeping the fingerlings off the hook. Some actually hit so hard it surprised me. Anyways beautiful place and felt comfortable keeping pram on shore for the weekend. Most campers we met were from sf.

Good luck

Great info, thanks guys.

Eric

Hey John I think you are running and working at Webber and Independence lakes. Is there a website for reservations at Webber? Any updates on the Henness Pass Road. Do you need a snowmobile...

Quote Originally Posted by cyama View Post
    Hey John I think you are running and working at Webber and Independence lakes. Is there a website for reservations at Webber? Any updates on the Henness Pass Road. Do you need a snowmobile...
    Hi,
    You can get to Webber. The Lake is iced out and the ramp will be ready this week if not today. We are plowing out campsites to be partially open this weekend. For info you can call (530) 587-CAMP or visit www.tdlandtrust.org and click "Webber Lake Reservations" on the left of the screen. We will not have potable water up and running yet as we are still getting it permitted with the State. The Lake is set to be stocked with LCT this coming week, lots of 3-to-the-pound fish with a bunch of Heenan stock "super catchables". In addition there are plenty of holdovers and wild fish. I have not fished but hear it is good, although the fish are not looking up yet.

I'm not sure past Webber. On the way to Webber the road is one lane still but will melt soon. Usually there is one big drift past the Webber turnoff even though Jackson might be bone dry. I received message that Jackson's campgrounds are not open yet. Will update as soon as I know more.

Independence Lake- you can get there, there are kayaks available for use, and we are trying to have motorboats available for Father's Day weekend. Then it should alternate motors/non motors every other week. Check this link in the future for the motorboat schedule. Currently it is 2018 and will be updated when we get the motorboats sorted. http://tdlandtrust.org/sites/default...20Calendar.jpg
    Thanks and thanks for the heads up on this thread Bill!
    Last edited by John Sv; 06-09-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks again John......looks like the mid-elevation lakes are going to be good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks John! The website looks great! Sounds like you are busy getting the place all spruced up after a long snow season. Keep up the good work! So I had to look up what a super catchable trout is and DFG says it is a trout from 1-3 pounds.