Thread: Espiritu Santo Bay Lodge report

Default Espiritu Santo Bay Lodge report

As we all know, saltwater flats fishing is all about the weather, and my recent trip to Espiritu Santu Bay was no exception. We had 6 days of perfect weather, and the fishing was incredible.

I was able to fish ESB 2 years ago, but with only 4 permits, for ESB, I only fished the bay 2 days. Now that the operation has been moved closer to the bay, and they have secured 4 more permits, folks can now fish ESB every day, with some of the best guides, and boats found anywhere!
    My bucket list for the week: Catch at least 2 permit; and jump a couple of big tarpon, catch a snook, a few bonefish, and catch a few baby tarpon. (I love fly fishing venues where you have a variety of species!)

Well I ended up catching 4 permit one day, for a total of 7 permit for the week! Incredible!

We had one glassy morning, and I was able to locate and catch one 70 lb. adult tarpon...the only big tarpon caught.

We caught a number of "baby" tarpon to 35 lbs., and as many 3-4 lb. bonefish, (yes, they were that big!), as we wanted.

Multiple shots at snook to 20 lbs., with several brought to hand that topped 15 lbs.

Dane Emerson is running a great fishing operation at ESB Lodge, and his wife, Chiara, is a great host around the lodge.

With only a 10 minute drive to the bay, and a 1 hour and 15 minute plan ride, to and from Cancun; ESB Lodge provided perhaps the best week of saltwater flat fishing (of course the weather was the key!), I have ever experienced. Given the venue, the price was very good too, and I recommend folks check out ESB, with The Fly Shop!

I think Bill Kiene has a trip planned to ESB as well, and if you can make only one trip next year, this is the place!

For more pictures and story, check out by blog:
    www.leehaskin.blogspot.com

Cheers,
    Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Happy hour and happy anglersAAA.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	13397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snook.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	13396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70 lb tarpon 2 AAAA.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	13398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee & Fernando and 17 lb permit AAA.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	13399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High flying flats tarpon 2 AAA.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	13400  

Espiritu Santo Bay Lodge is one of the best salt water flats destinations right now.

Thanks for the great report Lee.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........