Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have any good Fall trips scheduled?

Default Do you have any good Fall trips scheduled?

Try to get a good trip up on the calendar in October for some good fly fishing.

Many trout streams and trout lakes will normally be very good in October.

The longer Steelhead river will be good in October like the Klamath and Rogue Rivers.

Stripers in the Delta should be good too.

Let me know if you need any ideas or help in planning a good trip in CA, OR or NV.

Tell us about any trips you have planned.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

November 2, Jefferson Spey session up at the Klamath........ cannot wait. I have never fished up there before. December, so looking forward to learning some new techniques on new water. Anybody have some favorite flies for that time of year? Ready to get on the vise and tie a few up for the trip.

Adam

Will spend a fair bit of time on Yuba and Trinity. Guided trip on the T with Brian Clemens in October, plus a few DIY weekends.

Have a work trip to Spain in October w/ a free weekend so I am trying to do some recon on possible opportunities to get a line wet.

New Zealand for 10 days in November...like last year...2 guided days.............. then DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Petundra View Post
    November 2 Jefferson Spey session up at the Klamath cannot wait. I have never fished up there before December so looking forward to learning some new techniques on new water. Anybody have some favorite flies for that time of year? Ready to get on the vise and tie a few up for the trip.

Adam
    Take this with a grain of salt as I am much, much more familiar with fishing the Rogue at that time, but: small and buggy has been surprisingly hot for me. Usually I am more targeting half pounders, keeps the rod bent a lot more, but every now and then an adult will grab and there really is no mistaking the difference! Every year I find myself tying more and more browns and greens, as well as smaller and smaller hook sizes.

Last fall right around the turning of September to October, we spent a bit over a week fishing the lower Rogue. I had made my way through Shewey's "Classic Steelhead Flies" (highly recommended if you don't have it), tying a whole pile of classics. Some of the hot producers were various "Demon's", Silver Hilton's, Spade's, and Fool's Gold's. Funny to me though we're the two tops (by far!): Brindle Bugs, and a Donnelly Coachman.. not sure why but the results were hard to dispute. The Donnelly Coachman in particular surprised me; I had only tied two and by the end my father had the last one, that had been tattered to bits...and he was still hooking fish almost three to one over my wife and I! He flatly refused to consider changing flies, and still has the tattered remains of it somewhere.

Honestly, I think that the fishing on those two rivers at that time is probably my absolute favorite, bar none. A 4-5wt switch rod, floating line, and small classic flies, coupled with lots of eager grabs by smaller steelies and nice weather and fall colors... life just doesn't get much better!

JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Petundra View Post
    November 2 Jefferson Spey session up at the Klamath cannot wait. I have never fished up there before December so looking forward to learning some new techniques on new water. Anybody have some favorite flies for that time of year? Ready to get on the vise and tie a few up for the trip.

Adam
    I'm also going to the Nov 2 Jefferson Spey Session. Hoping that conditions will be favorable for fishing skaters and wakers. In the meanwhile I'll be fishing on the Lower Sac, Lewiston Lake and Trinity River. Got my first adult steelhead of the season on the Trinity last week. Took a riffle hitched muddler.

I'm headed for Bullhead City late October. Might try the Colorado River below Davis Dam for Stripers, catfish, Carp and planter Trout. I'm looking for a pattern that might entice a catfish, maybe some kind of Flesh Fly or something. I'll be daydreaming about Steelhead while I sit under my awning feeling sorry for myself. Might do a few rounds of golf. Any advise for the Colorado would be appreciated.

Headed to the Bitterroot Valley the second week of October. Have some work to do there. Probably hit the East and West forks of the Bitterroot and probably a favorite of mine (Rock Creek). Gonna visit a buddy in Kalispal and scope out a lake for Northern Pike. Something I have to put on my bucket list.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Mid October I will be going to Mammoth then the lower Trinity & Klamath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    Headed to the Bitterroot Valley the second week of October. Have some work to do there. Probably hit the East and West forks of the Bitterroot and probably a favorite of mine (Rock Creek). Gonna visit a buddy in Kalispal and scope out a lake for Northern Pike. Something I have to put on my bucket list.
    There are a few pike these days in the the lower Root. Clark Fork fishes well for them, even a few in the lower Blackfoot certain times of the year. Some of the lakes in the area fish well for them with minimal pressure.

Rogue/Morrison's the first week in October and the John Day the first week of November with the Deschutes Angler crew.