Thread: Scandi line recommendation

Default Scandi line recommendation

I'm new to spey casting and could use some advice.

I bought a TFO Deer Creek series 12'6 5/6 wt 350 to 550 gr spey rod.

I have a Rio 425 gr Skagit Max shooting head for it and I can cast it pretty good.

I would like to get a Scandi line with a Versi tip so I can fish the lower sac and trinity.

I don't know much about spey lines and any recommendations would be a big help.

Thanks
    jrl

I've had good luck on my 6 wt. 12' 6" spey rod with a Beulah Elixir scandi and especially a Rio Scandi body, both 400 grains.
    You can get the Rio Versi Tip combo with 4 tips but it's pretty expensive at $170 bucks. Or just the Rio scandi body at 23 feet is a great tip driver that is more in between scandi/skagit but still lands pretty gently, cuts thru wind and casts great. With a head only you can add inexpensive Versileaders or light MOW tips in the floating or sinking density you want. Your rod would probably be happy with a scandi 350-400 grains.

If you live near Kiene's, they have Scandi and Skagit heads you can "rent" for $5, I think that prices goes toward your purchase if you find something you like. Get a couple lines and go down to Gristmill and try a few out....Actually trying them out would be the best way. "In general"....your Scandi line weight is going to be lighter than your Skagit so I would bet somewhere 330-390 you'd find what you're looking for. Just my $0.02, but I would say if you're relatively new to spey, then get an Airflo Rage Compact for your Scandi. (you may be surprised with the Rage - you may like heavier like 390-420) It's way better than a traditional Scandi if the wind comes up. Also, I would start with either a floating, hover or intermediate versileader / polyleader, not a full on sinking polyleader - it's hard to get a sinking polyleader up out of the water on your cast. Again, in general, you want you leader to around 1.5x rod length. So get a 14' Aiflo polyleader and add 4' of 10 lb. for tippet and you're good to go. Don't sweat it though, I use 10' polyleader and add ~ 5' of tippet.

If you can go to Kiene's a rent a couple lines.

Thanks for the feedback.
    jrl

Get the Rio scandi body and maybe bump up a size or two. Kick ass line and by bumping up in size it can act more like a skagit driver for tips and yet still cast gracefully with the floating tip.

Plus one on the Scandi body option; those lines can fly! Makes for a very versatile set up, for touch and go casting I like mine at Rio's rated size. One option that works very well for me is the intermediate version plus a 15' D.C. Tip (or versileader, or poly leader); I can get the fly super deep if need be and yet still have a nice line that is a joy to cast.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown