Thread: New Pflueger Supreme?

Default New Pflueger Supreme?

Anyone using one of these? Thinking it'll make a nice reel for my Meiser switch. Needs to hold a 30' Scandi with integrated running line and backing, would the 7/8 carry that? Handled one in fly shop a while back and seemed like nice quality.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflue...7.html#start=3
    Robert

Buy an old Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 or even better a Hardy made click-n-pawl reel.

Most old 8 weight reels will work on a small Switch rod.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My Meisers don't cast as well without a Hardy on them

Seriously, I love my old Medalists in the right situation, but for a little more than what you're looking at you can find some much better reels. You can get a Marquis Salmon 1 or 2 (think. Mark Kranhold had a 2 for sale recently here, may be sold) for around $200 sometimes, and if you dig around a bit some Jw Young or Grey reels can be real bargains. They were a more blue-collar British click and pawl reel that seem to really hold up.

Plus, the search is fun and get you on-the-water bragging rights when fish aren't cooperating. I'm sure others will have suggestions - but a fine rod deserves a proper reel.

I'm speaking of the new Medalist, click/pawl, 100% machined aluminum, palming rim. Very different from the old classic Medalists. To me, similar to Hardy line made in Orient, what's the difference?
    Robert

Honestly, I haven't seen the new Pfleugers. I've just grown very fond of the fit, finish, SOUND, and dependability of my hardys. I've got around 100 fishing years on my various Hardys (which hurts to admit), some that I bought used, and outside of a Marquis that I dropped in a parking lot and cracked the frame, I have had to replace one spring on one of the reels in all that time. And, like a Harley Davidson and a baby's laugh, it just sounds right.

I like Hardy reels also, have several Orvis by Hardy as well as Ross Cimarron & LT, Bauer, various Lamson, SA by Hardy, etc. The NEW Pflueger is nice, and should have similar sound as it's double click-pawl.I bought a new Uniqua a few years ago and was not impressed with the tolerances. It was not made in England.
    The new Pflueger in size I'm asking about is $200 with a spare spool.
    Also chasing a Lamson LP4.
    Robert

Would love to hear a review if you pull the trigger on the Pflueger! Always liked the look (and single side frame) of the CFO's - nice toy.