Thread: Lower Yuba flows/report?

Default Lower Yuba flows/report?

I'm curious on the flows and the fishing report for the Lower Yuba river... The "reports" from Kiene's website, updated today, states: "Flows are hovering between 1500 to 1800 cfs but are scheduled to drop to the 1000 CFS range soon..." I'm curious where those numbers are coming from. Dreamflows is showing that the flows below Deer Creek are at 2472 cfs. That's a pretty significant deviation. Anybody know something I don't???

Kiene's report: https://www.reports.americanflyfishi...wer-yuba-river

Dreamflows: http://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.066.php

I fished the Lower Yuba last week, flows were definitely above 2000 cfs but were lower than the flows of early August. The only aquatic insects I saw were adult dragonflies, and all I found under the rocks were small rockworms. I got one splashy rise from a small fish to a hopper pattern, but no hookup.

Hey Gary

We floated and fished it Monday afternoon, evening. First time this year. We found little insect life around. We did find some action...though not a ton. All fish were pretty small. 8" average maybe. Flows were definitely still up at 2400ish from what we could tell.

Ty

Confirming Ty's flow report. Floated above the Hwy 20 bridge in Scadden Assault early on Tues. and largest fish was 16". Several more respectable and a bunch of dinks. No bug life to report. Swinging sculpin patterns on 5 wt spey rod. Got sprinkled on early but ended up being a great morning on the water.
    Last edited by Gary R; 08-24-2017 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Wrong day reported

Flows have been slowly going down but are still fairly high, certainly not 1000 CFS (as of Monday).

For the most part fishing has been fair with most fish in the 8" class. I went fishing during the eclipse, just for kicks, and caught one about 14".

Mostly, size 12-14 Bird's Nests in tan and gray have been working for me.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I had a feeling that the flow report was inaccurate. Though I am real curious where they're getting those numbers. Sounds like the river is still a bit high for wade fishing. I'd love to get over there and swing some flies on my new 3wt spey rod but might need to wait for the flows to drop and the bugs to get more active... if there's even that many left.

8;13am Thursday, today it says 1830 cfs on the FishHead app.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Lower yuba flow report

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Thanks for the info, everyone! I had a feeling that the flow report was inaccurate. Though I am real curious where they're getting those numbers. Sounds like the river is still a bit high for wade fishing. I'd love to get over there and swing some flies on my new 3wt spey rod but might need to wait for the flows to drop and the bugs to get more active... if there's even that many left.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I re checked the Streamflows link on the Fish Report web site and found that the URL was incorrect. The link wrongly showed flows at Marysville where the correct flows are are measured at Smartsville.
    The link on the web site has now been corrected. Here is the correct link http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/yubaStages.html.

For information about future flows go to http://www.ycwa.com/the-ycwa/currently-on-the-river/. Hope this has been some help.

Greg Vinci
    Fish Report Manager
    Last edited by Sierrapacific; 08-24-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Yuba at Parks Bar Bridge is about 1500. Supposed to drop to around 1000 soon and stabilize. Should be pretty good except it is super hot in terms of degrees out there. Early and late as in most of where you go these days. Look for those early stones. Rubber legs....