Thread: No Klamath Salmon

Default No Klamath Salmon

Gosh, I guess I've been under a rock, did not know this was planned for this year.

Wonder if this puts more pressure on the steelies?

Fall Chinook Season Closed on Klamath and Trinity Rivers
    AUGUST 16, 2017
    CDFW reminds anglers that fall Chinook salmon fishing on the Klamath and Trinity rivers is prohibited beginning Aug. 15, 2017 on the Klamath River and Sept. 1, 2017 on the Trinity River. Angling for steelhead remains open on both rivers for the entire year.

Due to historically low stock projections of fall Chinook in the Klamath Basin for 2017, a full fishing closure was adopted by the California Fish and Game Commission earlier this year.

The fall Chinook fishing season is defined as Aug. 15 through Dec. 31 on the Klamath River and Sept. 1 through Dec. 31 on the Trinity River. All Chinook incidentally caught during these respective dates must be immediately returned to the river.

Fishing for steelhead trout remains open in designated areas. The daily bag limit is two hatchery steelhead and the possession limit is four hatchery steelhead. Hatchery steelhead can be identified by a healed adipose fin clip (the adipose fin is absent). All wild steelhead (with an intact adipose fin) caught must be immediately returned to the water. Please consult the 2017-2018 supplemental sport fishing regulations for further information on open areas and gear restrictions that may apply.

The low projected stock abundance of Klamath Basin fall Chinook this year is thought to have been caused by several environmental factors, including severe drought and poor ocean conditions. Klamath Basin fall Chinook are managed for conservation thresholds and long-term sustainability, and the closures this year are designed to maximize spawning escapement to rebuild future population abundance.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

For some reason, I believe the Trinity season extends until the end of August? Go figure. Not sure the reasoning behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Gosh, I guess I've been under a rock, did not know this ws planned for this year
    Wonder if this puts more pressure on the steelies?
    As for the steelhead... I would say they receive even less pressure this year. Fall Klamath steelhead are abundant but are the most difficult steelies to get to aside from the Smith River winter runners... Locals and guides will fish the Klamath as they always have but those who fish salmon AND steelhead will be targeting KINGS... and most will not make the drive or flight to the Klamath to fish SOLELY for steelhead. Guides who fish salmon and steelhead will go where the money is and the money is where the salmon are (Sac, Feather, AR). The few dedicated, steelhead anglers who chase the half-pounders and fall adult fish on the Klamath are mostly fly-fishers and/or catch and release guys...

For some reason, I believe the Trinity season extends until the end of August? Go figure. Not sure the reasoning behind this.
    It takes some skill and for the most part... a boat to catch them on the Trinity so it is always less pressured than the Klamath and can therefore sustain a slightly longer season than the Klamath. The springers on the Klamath are traditionally much more heavily targeted than the springers or fall fish on the T. By the time the fall run is in full swing on these rivers, there are more and brighter salmon to be had on rivers closer to population centers (Sac, Feather, AR) By eliminating fishing on the Klamath mid-August, it ensures that all early-fall-run kings will be protected. It makes sense that the Trinity season extension would get a slightly longer season as a concession since it is mostly only fished by guides and locals.

I myself and am chasing big kings and stripers... there's no need to travel 350+ miles one way to catch 5lb Klamath steelhead when I can catch their much larger and brighter cousins in December right in my own backyard...

Just some thoughts...

Happy fishing wherever you may go~)
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 08-19-2017 at 09:26 PM.

What a wonderful river and we should be very concerned why it's fish are in such trouble.

As mentioned in the press release, the plight of the Klamath fall Chinook is due to a combination of factors - with the drought being at the top of the list, followed by disease and water quality issues in the mid Klamath area, and exceedingly poor ocean conditions. DFW likely leaves the Trinity open a bit longer in August to target hatchery springers which are already well upriver. The few remaining wild springers head for the Salmon River and South Fork of the Trinity.

The hardest part about successful fly fishing for Klamath steelhead is finding the fish. Bank access is good along Highway 96 and if you can find concentrations of fish - the catching can be fairly easy. Like the salmon, the Klamath steelhead runs have suffered as well - last year above Somes Bar was not good. We'll probably have another poor year before things start to improve. Hopefully.