Thread: Recent Smallie Trip

Default Recent Smallie Trip

Went on a day trip for Smallmouth Bass with Captain Maury Hatch yesterday. This time the fishin' and catchin' were both good. All top water (using poppers by Ben Bing). Using a 5 wt rod with poppers, we each had many opportunities to hook up on top. Maury only missed a few while I missed a bunch thru not focusing on the take. I hooked a couple of the larger models but they came unbuttoned; exciting!! Missed some, most were typical river Smallies. They really fight for their size, loads of fun.... Didn't get enough, I'm going again on the 6th of September.

If you get a chance to go with Maury for a day or two, you'll really enjoy it. Good fishing' and good company....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Darian for the great feedback......

Maury's guiding partner, Bryce Tedford, can also get you into the Smallmouth all summer south of Sacramento.

Maury = http://www.firsthatchguideservice.com/

Bryce = http://www.brycetedfordflyfishing.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sounds like a super fun trip, Darian!

Bit of a noob question here but does Maury offer a less expensive trip if he fishes with you? Or is that just how he does business in general, fishing with the client?

was this on the Delta?

i recently saw some instagram posts of smallmouth fishing on the South Yuba near Bridgeport, and need to investigate further

They are focusing on the Delta primarily for these fish.

Great way to get out and get as much action as you can handle.

These two got it dialed in to a T I highly recommend you go with them given half the chance.

Default Smallies....

Sheepdog8404,.... You can take a look at Maury's/Bryces websites thru the links posted by Bill. He lists some short trips (1/2 day) that might be less costly and would probably be just as productive for Smallies. Maury is always welcome to fish with me when in his boat and I don't think it changes what he charges for his trips. I always ask him if he's fishing with me and being a great guide, he doesn't pick up the rod if he's in front of the client on a drift, either. Did I mention that a day with Maury always involves good conversation???

One thing I forgot to mention in my prior post is that if you go, you should practice casting sidearm (if you don't already do that), keeping the line low enough to get in under overhanging branches without hanging up. For the most part, you'll be exploring rock walls but when it warms up a bit, Smallies tend move into the shady areas near the bank. Most casts will not exceed 30' to reach the fish....

I think Spicytuna1 hit it right on the head in his post. Maury has this fishery down. Also, the warm burritos are delicious (too big for me to eat a whole one, tho). If you can get out on a trip with either of the two, you'll get all the fishing/catching you'll want in one trip.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I think there are Smallmouth Bass in the Sacramento River from way up north near Red Bluff downstream all the way into the Delta below Sacramento.

The Lower Feather River and the Russian River both have Smallmouth too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........