Thread: Rio Striper Line vs OBS???

Default Rio Striper Line vs OBS???

I'm looking to get a new striper line for my 8wt. I have always fished a type 6 Rio Outbound Short on my 7wt and Can't really complain except for the fact that the front 18" is now cracked to hell. I have talked to a lot of folks who fish the Outbounds for stripers but haven't really heard of anyone using Rio's 30' Sinktip Striper line... Anyone have experience with that line or has compared it to the OBS?

Sorry to hear that your OBS S6 has fallen apart. How old is it and how often did you use it? I really like the way the OBS S6 casts and fishes...... Great running line in itself.

I cannot help with the Striper line that you can trim the tip, etc. I'm still using T14 or LC on the end of a running line.

I bought the line last year and fished it maybe a 6-8 times... That's unacceptable to have a $90 fly line start to break down on you after one season, at least in my eyes.

I've thought about doing the T14 thing but maybe weld it to a running line so there's no resistance on the knots sliding through the guides.

I've had six obs lines do the same exact thing. Actually many different rio lines all have done that to me after a pretty short amount of time. Slowly I've been switching all my lines over to airflo and so far they have been great!

Sheep,

If you cast the T-14 correctly (shooting head style) The head will be outside the tip top and you will never feel the bump....I use loop to loop and everything works fine.....something to think about

Carl

Over on Dan's board there's a guy asking the same question by the name of Gary Peabody. I assume this might be you. It sure would be nice if everybody used their real names. It's hard enough to remember real names when saying hi to a stranger let alone a moniker.

As for Rio lines deteriorating so quickly, that is totally unacceptable for such a high priced piece of material and I'm sure Rio would warrant it gladly if you sent it in to them. I have sent in several lines with the same problem. If you don't tell somebody about a problem they'll never know about it or try to fix it.

The main problem is the vinyl around the core and the experimental coatings they try to improve on. Vinyl deteriorates in the sun and air quickly. Almost all line companies use vinyl except AirFlo. They use polyethylene as a coating and I love it. It stays supple when casting and has little memory when cold. And also has very little stretch so you can feel even a slight tap of a bite.

My favorite line is AirFlo's 40+Sniper line. 100% PVC Free, No vinyl at all. I still have, and use Rio lines too but as they wear out I try and switch to Airflo whenever I can.

Hope to see you only the water sometime and I'll try and not call you sheepdog Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thanks for the advice, Carl. I was more concerned with the clunking knots when stripping the line in and also during the fight. I understand it's not THAT big of an issue but it is quite annoying.

Tony, that thread is mine. I understand the frustration regarding the name issue. I agree that line deteriorating after a year is crap. I have contacted Rio and they advised me to send the line back for repair/replacement. I'm mailing it today and fishing Friday which is why I'm trying to figure out which line to get for my 8wt. I'm heading to the fly shop today so I'll have to make a decision so I can fish this Friday.

Air Flo Sniper Lines are in my opinion and experience the best striper lines. I have clients fish mine roughly 6 days a week from May-October and mine are running on 2 years old. Braided cores, super think diameter head and running line, Stiff for minimal tangles, and designed by Nor Cal Striper guides/fishermen.

Gary, (Sheepdog)

If you can find an Airflo Sniper # WF8S7 this is perfect on an 8 wt rod. I've used it on a 7 wt. too but is just a tad heavy. It seems that it's one of the few lines that works well with the proper numbering.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180