Thread: Drowned Hoppers

Default Drowned Hoppers

I snuck out to the creek today. The hoppers were out and the wind was blowing so there were lots of naturals going into the water.

I noticed the fish were letting the hoppers sink before the take. It was a feeding frenzy at the bottom of the pool.

Has anyone used a drowned hopper tactic? Fly recommendations welcome.

Thanks!

Works good for Cutthroats on the South Fork. Nice big splashy landing, float for a couple of feet, a little jerk to pull it under and hang on. Doesn't work so well if it's a foam pattern, just comes back up. Try something like a muddler.

splitshot, that ought to work, put it about 6 inches before the hopper. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Anybody ever heard of a woolly bugger?

There are "drowned" hopper patterns out there for exactly these circumstances. Rick Takahashi, a CO tier I believe, has one in the Umpqua catalog for example: https://umpqua.com/products/flies/te...drowned-hopper
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There are "drowned" hopper patterns out there for exactly these circumstances. Rick Takahashi, a CO tier I believe, has one in the Umpqua catalog for example: https://umpqua.com/products/flies/te...drowned-hopper
    Thanks JD. That one looks like a winner.

The old standby the Dave's Hopper works very well as a drowned Hopper. Just trim up the elk hair and throw it out there without floatant. Chuck it in a fast riffle on the East Walker or East Carson and it will get crushed. Reminds me of fishing muddlers on the Trinity. Swing it for more action!!