Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American river salmon

Default American river salmon

Does anyone on here C&R salmon on the American swinging flies? I tried last August, hooked and quickly lost just one fish after four or five outings. From my limited experience it seemed like very much a meat based fishery; was surprised by the amount of fish in the river last August-September, all day long I saw fish that had to be at least 20-30 lbs or more rolling out of the water like dolphins, it was quite a sight.

Not really my scene in terms of the combat fishing but people were very kind to me being the only fly guy, and I simply very much have the desire to catch a release a Chinook. I also found it interesting how many foreigners I met on the river, Germans, Russians, Japanese folks etc. do people really travel from that far away for the American salmon run? Seemed like it couldn't be a coincidence.

Any thoughts on the ethics of the salmon fishery in the American? In past threads I've read on this site it seemed like a bit of a contentious issue; I really am not trying to ruffle any feathers, troll or start a big argument or anything, I'm just sincerely curious.
    Thanks for any input

I was around them my entire life and for some reason they attract lots of anglers.

They trickle in all summer and some get them right at the outlet of Nimbus dam extremely early in the morning.

October and November seem to be the peak of our run.

Andy Guibord, Joe Shirshac, Chuck Campana and Al Perryman are the guys I know who have caught them on flies.

A few years ago a hot spot was below the Goethe/River Bend bridge.

Go into the shop when Andy is working and he can give you advise.

As a rule early in the summer/fall and further down rivers you can find fresher fish.

Yes, PV the Lower Feather River has the best run of most of the Valley rivers.

In August/Sept you can catch nice fresh ones on the lower Klamath and lower Rogue Rivers.

In November you can catch fresh ones on the lower Eel, lower Smith and lower Chetco Rivers.

In the Sacramento River drainage we have a rare fish called the Springers that comes in during the winter and spring and these are extremely fresh like ocean fish. There are a few tributaries up near Red Bluff that are the strong holds for these super chrome fish.

On the OR, WA and BC coast they have lots of salmon rivers.

Naturally Alaska is one of the best places to catch salmon on a fly.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

General advice is to leave them alone. They're here to spawn and fish that aren't caught by flossing or snagging are usually striking out of aggression, curiosity, or boredom. However, fishing behind them with an egg pattern can be highly effective and entertaining.

I've seen and heard of them caught on flies in the feather.

Thanks for the input guys. Bill, have lurked on the website for several years now without posting much and am always impressed and grateful for your generosity in sharing experience and information. PV, that was the impression I got in general since reading about it after last season, would probably spend my time better chasing steelhead. Maybe salmon in Alaska someday if I have the money

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    General advice is to leave them alone. They're here to spawn and fish that aren't caught by flossing or snagging are usually striking out of aggression, curiosity, or boredom. However, fishing behind them with an egg pattern can be highly effective and entertaining.

I've seen and heard of them caught on flies in the feather.
    Salmon fishing is one of the most popular fish to fish for. Steelhead, sea run trout also come to the river to spawn and we still fish for them. As a matter in fact, people fly fish for salmon all over the country and pay a lot of money to do it. There aren't a lot of people targeting them with a fly on the American and I don't know why (they do it in Oregon, Washington, Alaska, British Columbia), unless you consider it beneath you and only reserved for the "gear guys"............

Don't be discouraged, fly fish for them. I do. Swing big flies (black and green works well) in the deeper holes of the river at sunrise and sunset. During the day salmon tend to go deep in the pools and are difficult to hook. Good luck.

No reason not to fish salmon or steelhead. Avoid the redds. Avoid long leaders. Avoid tandem fly rigs. Swing away. This year, the water is higher and colder than it has been in decades and the salmon are eating. But most would never know that because they are trying to floss with an 'egg pattern' on the bottom (springers have absolutely zero interest in eggs right now and they are not on the bottom even in the daytime... they are suspended and on the go to get to the headwaters they do not know are blocked by Nimbus Dam...)
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 08-06-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    Just local permanent immigrant. Fortunately most of the fish are snagged/flossed striped of the eggs and discarded.
    Isn't "flossing" illegal? I thought CDFW had restricted leader length to 4 or 5 ft.

I have always thought that it was illegal to fish 2 flies during salmon season (or to target salmon).

And don't you have to release any fish that is not hooked inside the mouth?

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 08-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Isn't "flossing" illegal? NO, FLOSSING IS NOT ILLEGAL, JUST UNETHICAL...

I thought CDFW had restricted leader length to 4 or 5 ft. NO CURRENT LEADER RESTRICTION BUT CDFW IS HAVING A MEETING ON AUGUST 16TH TO ANNOUNCE THE NEW PROPOSED REGULATION WHICH WILL LIMIT LEADER LENGTH TO NO LONGER THAN 6 FEET ON ALL RIVERS IN CALIFORNIA WITH ANADROMOUS FISH IN THEM. AND IT IS ABOUT DAMNED TIME!!!

I have always thought that it was illegal to fish 2 flies during salmon season (or to target salmon). NOT SO.

And don't you have to release any fish that is not hooked inside the mouth? WE HAVE A WINNER! YES, ALL FISH MUST BE HOOKED IN THE MOUTH OR OTHERWISE RELEASED. YET, MANY FLOSSED FISH ARE HOOKED LEGALLY (FROM INSIDE OUT OF MOUTH) ESPECIALLY WHEN LONG LEADERS ARE DRIFTED THROUGH A RIFFLE WHERE FISH ARE MIGRATING UPRIVER. IT'S EASY TO AVOID THOSE WATERS AND FISH LEGITIMATELY ABOVE AND BELOW FAST RIFFLES WHERE FISH ARE HOLDING IN BETWEEN THEIR MIGRATORY RUNS.
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 08-07-2017 at 02:01 PM.

UMMMMM, would not a restriction on leader length of 6 feet knock out all the indicator nymphing guys?
    Good luck with that. You'd ban a whole lot of LSAC river guides (trout) from fishing!!!! Notwithstanding all the steelhead guides!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Isn't "flossing" illegal? NO, FLOSSING IS NOT ILLEGAL, JUST UNETHICAL...

I thought CDFW had restricted leader length to 4 or 5 ft. NO CURRENT LEADER RESTRICTION BUT CDFW IS HAVING A MEETING ON AUGUST 16TH TO ANNOUNCE THE NEW PROPOSED REGULATION WHICH WILL LIMIT LEADER LENGTH TO NO LONGER THAN 6 FEET ON ALL RIVERS IN CALIFORNIA WITH ANADROMOUS FISH IN THEM. AND IT IS ABOUT DAMNED TIME!!!

I have always thought that it was illegal to fish 2 flies during salmon season (or to target salmon). NOT SO.

And don't you have to release any fish that is not hooked inside the mouth? WE HAVE A WINNER! YES, ALL FISH MUST BE HOOKED IN THE MOUTH OR OTHERWISE RELEASED. YET, MANY FLOSSED FISH ARE HOOKED LEGALLY (FROM INSIDE OUT OF MOUTH) ESPECIALLY WHEN LONG LEADERS ARE DRIFTED THROUGH A RIFFLE WHERE FISH ARE MIGRATING UPRIVER. IT'S EASY TO AVOID THOSE WATERS AND FISH LEGITIMATELY ABOVE AND BELOW FAST RIFFLES WHERE FISH ARE HOLDING IN BETWEEN THEIR MIGRATORY RUNS.