Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American river salmon

The leader is defined as the length "between any hook and any weight". So, you get 6 feet (or maybe 4) from the split shot, if you use one. That should work for most indicator fishing scenarios.

This post reminds me of why I rarely post here any longer. I was hoping it had changed, but I guess it hasn't. No thanks, not interested in your elite drivel. I'll vanish again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acosby7 View Post
    Only in our dreams and on the NU is indicator nymphing for steelhead dealt with properly.
    Leader laws would be awesome, especially for my dog. He has been snagged by more than a few 20ft Bead leaders when we used to lowhole the gear guys and "wrongly" swing flies in the lower River. Haha sorry I swore someone said flyfishing for salmon is unethical!? hahah!? On the American River!?
    I'll bet your blog is full of grip n grin dried out indicator steelies. Oh yeah there are a million steelhead "guides" fighting to make money off those pictures too so this won't be easy... This forum always gets me. I need to call ya mark its been a while, always good to chat with someone that has a clue funny that we met over a bit of a "leader" conspiracy a few years back eh?

Default Leader Restrictions....???

"....CDFW IS HAVING A MEETING ON AUGUST 16TH TO ANNOUNCE THE NEW PROPOSED REGULATION WHICH WILL LIMIT LEADER LENGTH TO NO LONGER THAN 6 FEET ON ALL RIVERS IN CALIFORNIA WITH ANADROMOUS FISH IN THEM...."

I'm confused. Do the proposed restrictions apply to other species than Salmon/Steelhead and dry fly leaders as well as sub-surface?? I'm not normally a gear guy but this proposal seems a bit too broad if so. Needs some clarification....
    Last edited by Darian; 08-07-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

This year, the American River will remain at 3500 CFS until October 1 at which time it will decrease to 2000 CFS and for the first time in many years, it will go no lower.

The Feather was historically always a much better bet but now the water releases are being managed so that the water coming out of Thermalito is hot and so the spring fish all shoot up the low flow and go directly to the hatchery. Ironically, early in the season (like now...) salmon fishing on the American is as good or better than the Feather.

But what do I know? I'm just the Krazy, token gear guy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170807_201659.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	13215

Salmon EAT in cold, high flows.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    "....CDFW IS HAVING A MEETING ON AUGUST 16TH TO ANNOUNCE THE NEW PROPOSED REGULATION WHICH WILL LIMIT LEADER LENGTH TO NO LONGER THAN 6 FEET ON ALL RIVERS IN CALIFORNIA WITH ANADROMOUS FISH IN THEM...."

I'm confused. Do the proposed restrictions apply to other species than Salmon/Steelhead and dry fly leaders as well as sub-surface?? I'm not normally a gear guy but this proposal seems a bit too broad if so. Needs some clarification....
    Darian, I am uncertain. I would think the regulation would be in place on any river with salmon and/or steelhead runs and for the entire year.

I know that one of the reasons it has taken so long for this proposal to actualize is the difficulty in defining leader length, particularly when it comes to fly gear.

It has already been decided though as Kevin Shaffer, Chief of Fisheries for CDFW stated on KHTK last weekend.

The meeting on the 16th is simply announcing what will certainly be.

The Nimbus Basin will also be closing for good to fishing by 2020 if not next year. The weir adjacent to the hatchery will be removed and the fish ladder will begin above the Hazel Avenue Bridge.

Default Leaders, etc.

Thanks for the info. Guess I should wait to see how the final version reads....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The Nimbus Basin will also be closing for good to fishing by 2020 if not next year. The weir adjacent to the hatchery will be removed and the fish ladder will begin above the Hazel Avenue Bridge.

Steelies, is this plan actually a go? I remember when it was proposed, at least 10 years ago and maybe closer to 20, and then it disappeared. I think it may have been part of the Hazel construction plan, but thought it had gone away. It made great sense at the time, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post

Steelies, is this plan actually a go? I remember when it was proposed, at least 10 years ago and maybe closer to 20, and then it disappeared. I think it may have been part of the Hazel construction plan, but thought it had gone away. It made great sense at the time, I thought.
    YES, it most definitely is going to happen. We'll all know in a week how soon it will be implemented.

Wait, what's happening? A fish ladder up nimbus? What happens when the fish get over nimbus?

The plan that was talked about a few years ago - and this was when I was involved with updating the Parkway Plan in the early 2000's - involved running the fish ladder from Nimbus Basin into the hatchery. It would eliminate the need for the weir, form a longer and more natural entrance into the hatchery, and eliminate the snaggery in the Basin by closing that whole area to fishing. I don't know how close that is to the current plan - maybe those of you closer to it can shed more light.