Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A low holer's tale

Running to the hole . . . classic! The two places I can think of where etiquette seems to disappear most often is Sailor Bar and Putah Creek. The Yuba, when it had a couple of outstanding years about 6-7 years ago, could be close. Sailor Bar had some decent scraps over territory.

The nice side of things is how far a quick discussion over where someone is fishing, can go. Making sure not to work someone's water can go a long ways and create much good karma. Here is a good one for you. A couple of years ago, we were fishing down in the Dillon area of SW Montana. We had scouted a couple of good looking streams that were off the beaten track, which we could not find much info about. We drove up to Big Sheep Creek, which had some great looking water. There was an excellent stretch of water running right through a large cattle ranch. We could have accessed it next to the road, and hoofed up through he rancher's property, all legally.

We decided to drive up to the ranch house and ask if he minded us fishing hie property? He said no problem. We popped a couple of cold Pacifico's and gave him one, then chatted it up with him for about 10 minutes. He then allowed us to park at his ranch house and walk to the river from there! He asked that we fish a certain section of the river, because he and his son were going to fish a another section the following day. Well, off we went to fish, following his request about where to fish. After we were done, he came over, asked how the fishing was, had another beer with us, and thanked us for following his request. He got our names, brought his caretaker over, introduced us to him, and told the caretaker we were welcome on the property anytime!!!! We could park at the ranch house as well. This guy was great, said that a little decorum always goes a long ways.

We got down to the lodge we were staying at, told the story to the guides, and they almost fell out of their chairs. Best stretch of water on the creek/ river they said. The fishing was pretty killer I must admit. Man, I felt really good after that episode.

For me, it really reinforced the good side of what happens when you do the right thing.

That's a kick ass story Yubaman. What a cool rancher...and all worked out over a cold beer!

Beer bridges the gap between all things....Well it might not have, had you given him a PBR.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    Reminds me to try and remember that old saying..."Never wrestle with a Pig, because you both get muddy, and the Pig enjoys it!"

Best, Bob
    Bob, ultimately that is probably the best advice. Sometimes its best to take the high road and just move on. Engagement in our society today leads to a lot of issues.

Two weeks again my black lab and I went out on the Feather to see if any salmon were around yet. No salmon but I always bring my flyrod. I got the boat set to make a drift and a guy in a kayak moved over from the other side of the river and cut me off. I decided to let it go and fish behind him a few casts later I hooked up with a good fish it took a bit to get her to the net but she was 15lbs on the boga. I made sure he saw me release that striper! Karma?
    Jim May

Definitely not my proudest moment, and not something I'd do again or recommend, but he was being a real ass. Leaving quietly to avoid confrontation would have been the adult thing to do, but then I would just be reinforcing this guy's behavior and he'd do it to the next guy down the river.....so I avoided confrontation by leaving with a splash.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.