Thread: Newest member

Default Newest member

Noticed that Christine Fong is the newest member. Have to assume she is the widow of
    beloved Michael Fong. Here's some interesting background info the the two of them.
    Welcome to the friendly confines of the Kiene forum, Christine.
    =======

========
    Michael and Christine attended and met at the California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland, California. A visiting professor named Byron Burford from the University of Iowa offered Michael a position as his teaching assistant and the Fongs moved to Iowa for two years. During this time, Michael earned his Master of Fine Arts degree in painting and drawing from the University of Iowa and Corinna, their daughter was born.

After returning to the San Francisco Bay Area and working in the graphic arts trade in 1967, Michael wrote and sold his first angling article to "Outdoor Life" with photographs taken by Christine. Since that time, Michael’s articles illustrated by Christine’s photographs have been published in every national outdoor magazine that reports on fishing and their writings and photographs have also appeared in many books. They have fished extensively throughout North America, in Central America, South America, New Zealand, Cuba, the Bahamas and in Norway catching most of the popular gamefish from trout to sailfish on the fly.

Michael received the Arnold Gringrich Memorial Award in 1996 from the Federation of Fly Fishers. Also in 1996, Michael and Christine received the Ross Allen Merigold Complete Angler Memorial Award bestowed by the Pasadena Casting Club. Michael and Christine were the second recipients of this prestigious award.

Michael was on the original staff of "Angler Magazine" first published in the early ‘70’s, was the Editor of the Federation of Fly Fishers magazine, "The Flyfisher" from 1977-1982 and was a Contributing Editor to "Fly Fisherman" magazine.

Michael and Christine were featured speakers with the International Sportman’s Exposition since the show’s inception in the late ‘70’s. In addition to public appearances, Michael and Christine gave numerous and acclaimed angling lectures, technical seminars and slide presentations to fishing clubs throughout the United States and Canada over a twenty-five year period.

From 1992-2002, Michael and Christine produced The Inside Angler (TIA), a flyfishing newsletter that reports on the most productive public and private flyfishing destinations in western North America. Published six times per year, this periodical recommends guides, outfitters and lodges catering specifically to anglers. In addition, campgrounds, RV parks and dining establishments are reported upon. Each destination is accompanied by a detailed map of the area.

Fenwick and Umpqua Feather Merchants were Michael and Christine’s sponsors. Fenwick has long been a manufacturer of quality fly rods and fishing equipment. Umpqua Feather Merchants produces the very best tied commercial flies designed by the most innovative fly tiers in the world and also offers fine flyfishing accessories. Abel Automatics and G. Loomis made generous raffle donations to the TIA parties over a period of several years. Recently, Redington and Patagonia had also made donations to TIA parties. During their career, the Fongs worked in collaboration with Fishing International, Club Pacific and Orvis.

Michael passed away in June 2002. He is greatly missed by his family, friends and the fly fishing community.

A book will be published by Frank Amato Publications in Spring 2003, entitled, The Ten Best Western Fly Fishing Destinations from "The Inside Angler" by Michael Fong with photography by Michael and Christine.
    =======
    =====
    Best, Larry S

Default Christine/Mike Fong....

Hopefully, it is Christine of Christine/Mike Fong. Great photographers and fly fishers. Welcome aboard. Not sure if Christine ties flies but I once saw a variation of the silver Hilton tied by Mike in a photograph that still stays with me....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

If it is her and she's reading, I'm sorry for your loss. I didn't know your husband, but you and he seemed like an awesome partnership. Which makes it harder for sure, but wow, what a great time you guys had. My wife lets me go fishing, that's it. I'd love it if she cared like you care. Again, very sorry for your loss.