Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Kids...

Default Teaching Kids...

So this weekend my family went on our first backpacking trip since before we had kids, they're 7 and 9 now. We went to Winnemucca Lake out of Carson pass and the fishing was pretty slow. We had fun but due to that lack of good fishing we packed up Sunday morning and drove down to the silver fork of the American at the Caples creek trailhead. I spent some time with my 9 y.o. son teaching him how to fly fish and in under an hour he had hooked and landed a fish all by himself.

So while that went well I wondering what the right way to do this is... How about my 7 y.o., I'm afraid that the coordination required might be too much, does anyone have any tips or tricks? I did some googling of this site and didn't see too many hits on this topic. Am I trying to start them too young?

Also does anyone mind sharing some good spots to start out that has eager fish regardless of size? The silver fork seemed pretty decent but the terrain can be a little challenging at times. Right now our plan is to head back up there on Saturday, hike in a ways and backpack/camp and fish for the weekend but I'm open to any ideas that involve getting out of the valley heat this weekend!

Thanks guys!

-Eric
    Last edited by Eric F; 07-31-2017 at 09:22 AM.

My dad started me at the age of 7 and it was not a problem for me. The first thing he taught me was to false cast properly on the lawn, I had to land the fly in the middle of a hoola hoop, then a frisbee. Once I was able to do such then I could hit the water with him. You'll want to take your kids to fisheries that have eager trout and pocket water. With pocket water, the casts are short, and teaches them how to obtain a proper drift, hook setting, playing the fish, and the right way to release them. The North Fork Yuba River would be a great example.

The most important thing is to keep it fun. Children have short attention spans so you have to mix it up. Last week I had a 6 year old as my client and it was all about doing different things on the river. Fish for 20 minutes, then hunt bugs, throw rocks in the river, collect cool looking rocks, then back to fishing for a while. He only lasted 2 and a half hours, and then he wanted to go back to camp with his dad.

Thanks to awesome dads like you who want to introduce their children to the natural world, it's the gift of a lifetime! - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I have to ask, did you also have a non-6 year old client? Or were you just a well paid baby sitter?

Just how rough would it be on my line to have them practice on my gravel yard. We live in the country and don't have nice green lawns to cast on. I could of course go to town, but that adds to the overhead a fair amount and means it won't happen.

What would I attach as the fly? Just clip the hook off an old one?

Funny story - While my son and I were flyfishing yesterday my daughter comes over and says she and mom need some help. OK that is odd, mom is very comfortable in the wilderness. Well it turns out that my daughter had managed to hook mom with a Mepps spinner treble hook through her shirt and into her bra strap in the back. Luckily there was no flesh involved but that was something mom couldn't quite fix by herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
    I have to ask, did you also have a non-6 year old client? Or were you just a well paid baby sitter?

Just how rough would it be on my line to have them practice on my gravel yard. We live in the country and don't have nice green lawns to cast on. I could of course go to town, but that adds to the overhead a fair amount and means it won't happen.

What would I attach as the fly? Just clip the hook off an old one?

Funny story - While my son and I were flyfishing yesterday my daughter comes over and says she and mom need some help. OK that is odd, mom is very comfortable in the wilderness. Well it turns out that my daughter had managed to hook mom with a Mepps spinner treble hook through her shirt and into her bra strap in the back. Luckily there was no flesh involved but that was something mom couldn't quite fix by herself.
    The six year old's dad was with us, there may have been some babysitting involved while he fished.

Casting onto gravel would be a bad idea and will chew up your fly line, another option is to lay a big tarp over the gravel and cast off of the tarp's surface.

You can clip the hook off, or tie in a small piece of brightly colored yarn.

That is a funny story, glad there was no flesh piercing involved!
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Pick up a small beater rod for the little ones. My son used a small, 6.5 foot 4 wt and a really cheap line. Have them used that line as the yard caster. My was "the street line". It's cracked and ripped, but it only ever sees the asphalt.

Roll casts and blue gill are great starters.
    Exit 7

Tenkara.

Sounds exotic, but it's simply a super light collapsible graphite rod. A fixed length of ~20# monofilament is the fly line, tied directly to the tip of the rod. 3' or 4' of 5x or 6x tippet connects the end of the "line" to a dry or a dry/dropper or a light single nymph.

The "line" is light enough and the rod long enough that even little ones can keep the "line" off the water and get a drag free drift. The long rod also allows one to pulse the fly to entice fish.

No line management, no futzing with a reel. In open streams without overhanging trees or willows, it's easy, fun, and very effective. I suspect it would work well with bluegills in ponds too.

And cheap compared to rod/reel/line. Maybe $100 for rod, another $20 for "line", tippet, a few flies.

Good luck!
    Greg

I've been teaching my 10 year old daughter this year and she is picking it up pretty quickly. She hates being coached or told what to do, so I try to fish next to her and let her watch and copy. She is mending line and getting pretty good drifts, and she is now fishing 2 fly rigs under an indicator which I was dreading...thinking I'd be untangling messes all day, but she figured that out quickly too.

We sent her to the kids camp at Antelope Creek Ranch for a week this summer which she loved. If you want to drop a few bucks, its a great way to get them excited about fly fishing. She is now tying flies (San Juan worms only) and selling them to me for a buck a pop.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

That camp looks really cool, I'll have to check into that for next summer. Heck, I think I want to sneak away with my wife to that place for a weekend!

As for the Tenkara suggestion, where is the best place to get that? Does Kiene have it or are we talking internet? I'd actually considered it, but was waiting for someone to suggest it first.

The camp is awesome. Kids all loved it and they teach casting, entomology, fly tying, knots, and they have a lot of fun too. The ponds are full of big fat dumb fish (my daughter's description not mine) and there are wild fish in the creek. Its a bit out of the way but if your kid is into fly fishing its a great treat.

Take your wife to Clearwater Lodge if you want to get away for a weekend!...My wife gets me a weekend every year for Christmas and I made the mistake of taking her up for a "look see" a few weeks ago (on our way to Antelope Creek as a matter of fact) and she fell in love with the place. My bachelor trips are over!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GracieFishing.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	13208
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 08-02-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Tenkara rods are on the Internet unless Kiene's started stocking them. They're popular in Utah and Idaho and Colorado. Not as popular here - I've not seen another tenkara rod on a CA river or stream.

I use 14# colored Amnesia for the "fly line", 5x mono tippet, and flies like Elk Hair Caddis and small Pheasant Tail nymphs/soft hackles. Kiene's carries those.
    Greg