Thread: Koktuli River, AK 2017 Report

Default Koktuli River, AK 2017 Report

Just back from AK. 9 nights on the Koktuli. Very low water for the first couple of days, until we reached the confluence of the north and south forks. Not as many dollies and rainbows as in Aug. Ridiculous amounts of kings and sockeye. Largest bow was 24 inches, largest king was 30 pounds - which is pretty exciting on a small river. Lots of greyling. And more bears than we see in Aug for some reason. Great group of guys and great camping spots as usual. A few days of rough weather, but that's nothing new. Helicopters now flying over with Pebble Mine folks, thanks to the new staffing at the EPA. No place is sacred anymore.

Any pics John? Joe find his stick again?
    ....lee s.

Sounds like a DIY float/camp trip?

Nice....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've been running this trip for clients for several years now (Against The Flow Adventures). Seriously thinking of going back to just DIY. I love this river and will continue floating it - but it's going to be fun to divide up the work and get in some more fishing. It takes a bit of work to get to this river, which keeps people away. We saw 2 other people (and husband and wife) this last trip. Sometimes we see no other people - 40 miles of river to yourself kind of spoils you.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s. View Post
    Any pics John? Joe find his stick again?
    ....lee s.
    Lots of pictures, Lee - just kind of a hassle for me to do photobucket or whatever. Best bear pictures yet, actually. And some great king salmon pictures. I asked Joe about that carved stick - and I'm pretty sure he said he took it home on the trip where you found it. I hope you guys are well. It would be nice to meet up.