Thread: The Pit River

Default The Pit River

I'm planing a trip to the Pit leaving San Jose Friday 8/4 thru thru the 8th. I maybe going solo and wanted to put it out there and see if anyone might be in the area. I might go explore some other waters but hard to say definitely will be focused on the water on hand. Letmeknow.
    Justin Ice

I think that Aug 5 and 6 is one of the week-ends for rafting white water flows in the Pit.
    You may want to fish other water on those two days.

Well, after I posted this, I tried to verify it on the PG&E website.
    I had it noted on my calendar because I saw the dates somewhere, but I don't remember
    where and now I can not find it again.
    Since Pit 5 has been flowing at around 2,000 all summer so far, they may not be doing the white water flows.
    IDK. I guess a call to PG&E is needed. I will leave that to someone else.
    Last edited by StevenB; 07-29-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added note re: verification

Steven,
    Thanks for the heads up. Ive been doing some leg work for water release schedules but could not find any info. I've also contacted Cal Water Resources, PG & E and a few other leads. There seemed to be no one with this information and PG & E dose not give out numbers or know how tho directly get in touch with their hydro division. I did find the number to PG & E in Burney but they did not like that I had the number. Now I did find a scheduled release for Pit 5 on the weekend of the 5th, but not Pit 3 could this be what you were referring to Steven (https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...elease/view/)? More info to come.
    J. Ice

Was just up there this past week and water clarity was not super great and was not very cold either. Fishing was iffy but caught some smaller fish and lost some reaaaallyy nice ones, one probably around 18+ inches or so. Never been to the pit before so not sure if it is quite the norm but good looking water didn't seem to produce too many grabs. Either way stop by the fly shop in redding and see what they have to say. Lots of water up there to fish

Pits a great fishery but treacherous. Personal opinion for getting numbers is to fish heavy and deep. Dark buggy patterns fished on heavy split has produced for me. Cheers