Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Truckee River Cutthroat Caught between Prosser and Boca

Jim I love the thoughts!
    We need to catch up soon.
    It's been a bit too long. Once the kiddies are back in school and the drive around the lake is less hectic I'll come bs with ya.
    Great minds think alike.

Not meaning to hijack the topic here, but I wwas down in Hirschdale last weekend, and saw new "No Trespassing" sign posted all along the east side of the river above the Hirschdale Bridge, right where that nice run is. What's the 411 on this?

Yuba,

411 is keep walking along the bank because that is a great stretch. Those signs have been there for years (maybe decades). Call me a rebel but I pay no attention and I think 99% of the anglers do as well because I've talked to a bunch of people about it over the years. The only area that I wouldn't fish on the Truckee in CA is the SF Fly Casters water but I think technically you could float it. Maybe somebody else knows? Also up on 89 through some peeps houses but not my stretch of water that I typically fish anyway.

When we trespass, it reflects badly on all anglers......
    If you want to get good info, you should ask someone who knows........otherwise you pass on bad info.......again.
    The property has new signs up because it was sold...
    The same with the signs for Lake forest church property, new signs there too.
    The church asks that you check in with them before walking their land.
    This approach is nice,....let's not blow it eh?
    Show respect, and you may get some.....
    The river below flood plane is legal to traverse on the Truckee. Crossing private land to access the river is not.
    Please don't trespass.......and certainly don't encourage others on a public forum.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 08-04-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Yuba,

411 is keep walking along the bank because that is a great stretch. Those signs have been there for years (maybe decades). Call me a rebel but I pay no attention and I think 99% of the anglers do as well because I've talked to a bunch of people about it over the years. The only area that I wouldn't fish on the Truckee in CA is the SF Fly Casters water but I think technically you could float it. Maybe somebody else knows? Also up on 89 through some peeps houses but not my stretch of water that I typically fish anyway.
    yes, it is legal to float the SFFC property. it's also legal to walk it below the high water line, though they don't particularly care for that approach...but from a legal perspective they don't have a leg to stand on. i don't walk it because there are so many other equally good places to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    When we trespass, it reflects badly on all anglers......
    If you want to get good info, you should ask someone who knows........otherwise you pass on bad info.......again.
    The property has new signs up because it was sold...
    The same with the signs for Lake forest church property, new signs there too.
    The church asks that you check in with them before walking their land.
    This approach is nice,....let's not blow it eh?
    Show respect, and you may get some.....
    The river below flood plane is legal to traverse on the Truckee. Crossing private land to access the river is not.
    Please don't trespass.......and certainly don't encourage others on a public forum.

Jim
    Who with the church are you supposed to contact? Just the office? What about this other stretch downstream of the bridge...are you aware of a contact to secure permission?

Just park outside church property, walk down drive and say hi....
    Between their property and down stream is access. ....
    I do not know the owner of the land near the bridge, but I met him and he doesn't want folks walking his small patch.
    below Hirschdale is CAF&G property mostly...
    I suggest getting a map.

Jim

I'm not walking across anybody's property and I certainly don't approach that stretch from the church. I walk on the bank or high water mark whatever you want to call it from the public land across the river. Its a great stretch of water that I will continue to fish. Just like a lot of people who park there and fish it day in and day out. Been fishing the truckee since the 80's and not once has anybody ever once said 1 word to me anytime about trespassing. Because I don't. Mr Local guy at it again thinking its his river. Always some smart ass remark.

I agree about the SF Fly casters. I wouldn't walk it or float it to be honest. Too many other places to fish. I was in Mogul today on the NV side. Haven't been down there in years since drought. Def some big fish remaining and the conditions are perfect. I got a joy ride for about 3 minutes with a big brown.

I think all Jim is doing is imparting some new information to us, to help us out? I know I have never seen those signs there, in brand new condition, before. Also these sign are now posted about every 25 yards apart. I was surprised to drive down there and see no one fishing on 4th of July weekend, to me the signs told the story. Hey man, but to each his own. In the end, you do what suits you.

Yuba, you are correct.
    PV asked a good question, and I answered with current info.
    That stretch has historically been a place of higher angler/landowner confrontations. (Probably 2nd to the club.)
    Since there is a new owner who isn't angry with us before we even show up, I'll do my best to keep it that way.
    Would I be correct as a VISITOR if I suggested to folks in Eldorado hills that they should ignore the Trespass signs in that area.
    Here as a LOCAL, I would get lynched if I made that suggestion. Especially on line.
    We need to live along with our neighbors.......times change.....nobody cares how it was in the 80s..........
    As a guide, I feel a tad responsible for correcting info being posted on my home waters.
    Anyone have a question, I'll do my best to find out.
    Feel free to call anytime.........

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 08-05-2017 at 07:25 AM.