Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truckee River Cutthroat Caught between Prosser and Boca

@Rossflyguy Can you cite or show me any any scientific documentation of re-introduction of Native LCT (or any Native Inland Cutthroat for that matter) where non-native Oncorhynchus, Salvenius, or Salmo were present and self-sustaining and Native Cutthroat just out-competed them with no rotenone or non-native fish removal? Look the genetically pure Truckee Basin LCT or Pilot Peak Strain (whatever you want to call it) is indeed a more aggressive strain of LCT and can attain large sizes in correct environs. Problem is Pyramid, Truckee River, and Tahoe are all isolated aquatic ecosystems and this strain did not evolve with that. Given what scientific data we have and what life history has been documented on LCT, I would highly doubt you can just dump these LCT anywhere and they will simply take over. My God look how long it took to get the Upper Truckee River restored with pure LCT and look how small a waterway that is. Sorry if I'm not as optimistic as you (I do think this is a great first step tho) but the science does not support this will indeed happen.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Stocking cutthroats anywhere other than pyramid lake in this area is a complete waste of Fu87ing time!
    Leave them to flourish in Pyramid and quit ruining our self sustained rivers and lakes of wild bows and browns.
    It's a waste of money and it's ruining wild fisheries that flourish.
    The Truckee isn't the only place this nonsense is happening.
    Its total bullshit to see amazing wild fisheries go to shit because some dipshits "think" they can turn back time.
    It's too late!

Don't get me wrong...I love cutthroat. In PYRAMID LAKE where they thrive and belong.

If I hooked into (and lost) an absolute monster on the Truckee two summers ago, is there any chance this was a LCT?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

So...anyone besides cdevine going to actually answer my question of whether they have caught any on he California side up towards Truckee and Hirsch dale?

Clearly a lot of opinions about this topic. I have no control nor do I particularly care. I hope that whatever the powers that be decide to do, works out the best for the river and those that enjoy it. That is all. I have caught 5 different species of cutthroat trout and find them all beautiful. I am an environmental scientist who sees lots of impacts from man, some good but more bad. How things will turn out is a guess at best, even for those who are well educated. Each ecosystem is very unique and different. Yes sometimes in fact you can turn back, many times you can't.

Again, anyone else caught Pilot peak up near town? Oh and BTW, what I caught and posted was not a hybrid in any way. Look again. Zero rainbow in that fish. Stocked fish have all sorts of variation, so that might be what someone was referring to.

Have fun, do your part and fish on...life is short.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    If I hooked into (and lost) an absolute monster on the Truckee two summers ago, is there any chance this was a LCT?
    NOPE, no chance.

These forums can turn but this is a hot topic so when people heard LCT (including me) it sort of took off. But back to the point I fish quite a bit below hirshdale and its only browns, bows, and a rare white fish for me down that way. Above hirschdale I have gotten a few LCT and a decent size lake trout about 20 years ago. (talk about a surprise). Good luck and get out! Fishing is great and virtually all of our rivers are in excellent shape.

Was that summer of 98? There were a few lake trout caught in the Truckee that summer. One was biiiiiiig.
    My wife works at the local fishing and hardware store in Truckee. Doesn't sound like big pilots are caught anywhere in the T. CADFW stocks small pilots, and Flycasters ( i think) stocked a different brand of cuttie a little while back. Viva le LCT!!!! Their hold is very tenuous throughout the native range. I work at Independence lake where there is a small, actually tiny, native LCT population. They stocked them at Webber but there really isn't an opportunity for recruitment due to the size of the tribs. Pyramid would have zero LCT if not for annual artificial propagation, so while they are 'common' in our area there is no durability . I like catching them; adds some flavor to a day with bows and browns.
    Last edited by John Sv; 07-29-2017 at 02:30 PM.

John, that was so long ago.... It was almost pre internet and certainly before any forums, instagram, and Facebook. Back when you would tell somebody you caught a fish and they called BS if you didn't keep it. (no iPhone) But funny how I could still point out that exact spot and moment on the river as if time slowed down. I guess what makes it so much fun. I could have swore one of the local guides caught a big laker this year as well on the T.

The only beef I have is it really is a waste of taxpayers money and resources if you keep expecting different results from similar past practices. Just seems like there are more pressing issues to contend with.

...deleted
    Last edited by John Sv; 07-29-2017 at 09:00 PM.

[QUOTE=cdevine;177287]John, that was so long ago.... Back when you would tell somebody you caught a fish and they called BS if you didn't keep it....

A historical perspective
    :

Chris---Well I disagree on your above excerpted statement...revisionist history in my opinion. Be assured, C & R was pretty well-established in the fly fishing world in '98; having really taken hold during the '80's and prior to since the mid-70's.

Been following this thread...This concept of reintroduction of LCT on the Truckee occurred during the mid-late '90's. It didn't happen then and my prediction it will not happen now...as I've mentioned in a previous thread.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 07-29-2017 at 09:47 PM.