Thread: Silver Fork of the American River

Cool Silver Fork of the American River

Camped at China Flat this past week. Stream maybe a little high but totally fishable. Consistent morning and evening action indicator nymphing around the campground. The canyon stretch was the best with Rainbows of 10" to !4". Bh Hares Ear, Prince nymph with a weighted Golden Stone as bottom fly. Midday best spent tubing down the river with a beer.
    I'm wild about native planters!

Should be down for evening dry fly fishing soon?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yeah. Should be good for a dry fly evening soon. I'm looking forward to my next trip at the end of August fishing the riffle/pool by Girard creek bridge.

Was there yesterday too. Got on river about 4 and had same results as you. Nymphing was the game. A few bugs hatching near dark, but not a lot of interest in top action.

Rafdawg34

Quote Originally Posted by kyburz View Post
    Camped at China Flat this past week. Stream maybe a little high but totally fishable. Consistent morning and evening action indicator nymphing around the campground. The canyon stretch was the best with Rainbows of 10" to !4". Bh Hares Ear, Prince nymph with a weighted Golden Stone as bottom fly. Midday best spent tubing down the river with a beer.
    Hi Kyburz,

I've never fished Silver Fork. I found China Flat campground on Google maps; but what is the "canyon stretch"?

Is it upstream or downstream from China Flat?

Planning a day trip midweek.

Thanks,

Pete

The canyon stretch is below campsite 4 and begins where the stream makes a 90 degree turn downstream. since it requires a little hiking and rock hopping it recieves little fishing pressure. solitude and better odds make this a good spot.
    good luck lemme know how you did.

Lots of fishing pressure today...too crowded for my taste. On the water at 7:30 off at 2:30, hooked ~20 across two rods, landed a third of them.

Bummer about crowds but sounds like it was action filled. Did you hike away a little? That seems to work for me.
    Have you ever fished up thru camp sac area?

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Lots of fishing pressure today...too crowded for my taste. On the water at 7:30 off at 2:30, hooked ~20 across two rods, landed a third of them.
    I would guess its crowded from all those escaping the heat. It also doesn't help when everyone tells their exact location of where they are/were fishing. Leave some things to the imagination guys! IF you tell the internet exactly where you are fishing....it is going to get busy!

Anyone been out on the SFAR lately? Planning to take my dad and gf out there for a few hours on Saturday morning and see if we can find a few. If no bueno, we might try the Upper T instead, but need to be in Strawberry at 2, so SFAR is more convenient.