Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputable rod builders in Northern CA

Default Reputable rod builders in Northern CA

As it seems unlikely that I am going to find a pre-owned 1wt TFO Finesse, I am thinking about buying a blank and have one built to my specs versus paying full price for a new, off the rack factory build.

I have no idea about reputable rod builders in Northern CA. I am looking for recommendations based on first hand experiences. Sacramento metro area preferred, but would go outside the area if needed to get a high quality build. I am also looking for someone who can turn around a build pretty quickly as ideally I would like to get this done in the next 3-4 weeks.

http://www.l3rods.com/

I haven't personally bought a rod from Larry, but I know people who have and all were very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by nightgoat View Post
    http://www.l3rods.com/

I haven't personally bought a rod from Larry, but I know people who have and all were very pleased.
    I second Larry, I have had five rods blanks finished by him in the last year. I also like Buff but believe he is not winding blanks now.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

A third thumbs up for Larry. His custom work is outstanding, and he is as honest a guy as there is. I buy all my components from him, and if you wanted to build your own he is a great instructor as well.

Larry does great work. If you want to ship to Oregon, Steve Godshall does amazing work! I have had many rods built up by him.

Buff Hendrickson and he is about a 15 minute drive from your house. Top notch craftsmanship.

Either Larry or Buff would be excellent choices, but consider that this is for a rod that sells for $190 retail. The blank alone is $99, and that does not include the remaining hardware (cork, reel seat, guides). Cannot imagine you saving much money, if any, especially if you choose quality parts for your custom build when you add in the rod builder's time. If you did it yourself (which is pretty easy) you MIGHT save a few bucks as long as you have the time to spare (add to cost epoxy, thread, and possibly tools for a DIY rig).
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Either Larry or Buff would be excellent choices, but consider that this is for a rod that sells for $190 retail. The blank alone is $99, and that does not include the remaining hardware (cork, reel seat, guides). Cannot imagine you saving much money, if any, especially if you choose quality parts for your custom build when you add in the rod builder's time. If you did it yourself (which is pretty easy) you MIGHT save a few bucks as long as you have the time to spare (add to cost epoxy, thread, and possibly tools for a DIY rig).
    I second everything JD posted... You will end up paying a lot more than $190. Just the cost of the components will be very close to the $190.

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I ordered the blank this week and Larry will be building it out for me.

I am getting it built to "go light" with smaller/lighter components than the factory build. I know I will spend more than factory...and that is fine. I will be getting what I want, and creating what I hope to become a rod that I will some day pass down to a kid to help them catch their first trout. At the end of day it is just money, and I want something special both for myself and for someone in the future.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback here. Larry finished the rod and I picked it up yesterday. He did a great job!

As predicted, I ended up spending more than retail by about 30%. But, the customization and the quality of the outcome were worth it.

The rod will get wet for the first time either next weekend or the one after. I will post a couple photos of the rod and the first fishing experiment soon.