Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions on fish finders

Default Your opinions on fish finders

So far I've had horrible luck with the lowramce systems. I was wondering which ones you've all tried or have that's tried and true. I fish lakes and delta mostly. Thanks jb

Default Lowrance

Could you expand on what you mean by "horrible luck", please??? Was it performance, display, requires constant repair, etc.?? I'm curious as I'm about to buy a system and was considering Lowrance.

FYI, over on Blanton's BB, there's been some discussion about Hummingbird brand....

Thanx
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hummingbird always worked for me. Seemed to be the least complicated too. Turn it, turn it off, see bottom structure, depth and fish in between. I popped for a side-finder with GPS a few years back but never really took the time to learn how to use it. Simple is good unless you're fishing for money.

Horrible luck as in internal gps kept losing position then would just go blank sent unit back twice and took at least a month to get back with same problem after a couple uses then it just shit off and wouldn't work anymore and the latest was last weekend with another unit it just shut off and won't turn back on. I've gone over the wires and all fuses so I had a buddy come double check and all were fine. Tested the plug that goes into unit and it's fine. I'm just done with them and think the customer service was awful as well so time to move on

Default Lowrance

WOW!!! That is bad performance. Thanks for sharing that....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I've had just about all of them- the lowrance gps issue has been around off and on in lots of years.

Best luck has been with furuno and raymarine, just put a dragonfly chirp unit on the kayak- good stuff.

I use to be a 100% humminbird user and fan, but after the last bit of "service" from them, they can burn in hell for all I care. They fixed a screen for me, then somehow disconnected my internal GPS in the process. When I sent it in, my gps worked, when I got it back it didn't. I told them what happened and they tried to blame me and refused to fix it because it was a few days out of warranty. Once they finally agreed to fix it because I finally got it through their that I could have not openend it and disconnected it but it was there fault, they fixed it. Only to return it with all my waypoints and tracks deleted. Screw humminbird!!!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Lowrance has been the go to brand for many decades.

Hummingbird has some new technology that is pretty exciting.

Again, our individual experiences don't really count for much....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Lowrance has been the go to brand for many decades.

Hummingbird has some new technology that is pretty exciting.

Again, our individual experiences don't really count for much....
    Very true Bill.

With that said I spend a lot of time on salt water boards and ocean gear just has to be more robust, so I pay more attention to what they use, and its been pretty good advice.

I have an old Eagle fish finder. I strap it on my Scadden Renegade and use it on lakes. It doesn't have GPS, but I don't want or need it. It shows me the bottom, and marks areas that have fish. If I find an area with fish, that's all I really to know. My unit is black and white, and adequate for me. I think it's equivalent to a Lowrance with a value of about $200. I just row my frameless pontoon, but I do understand the need for GPS in large areas like the Delta.