Thread: DIY Fly Rod Mount

Default DIY Fly Rod Mount

Well I have been eyeing one of those cool fly rod holder mounts. You know the one the guides use mounted on the hood and roof top of the cars or trucks. I just could not pull the trigger on the Sumo Rod Mount.

So I decide, hey I could build my own. Do It Yourself. Seems simple enough. Well I didn't really plan anything out just went to Home Depot and looked around where all the nuts and bolts are found. Picked up a couple of eye-bolts and some tarp tie down bungees. Spent about $6. I had an old pool noodle which I sliced into a few pieces for some cushion for the fly rods. Used some black electrical tape to cover up the blue pool noodle. Tried to keep this as inexpensive as possible.

Drilled out a whole on each roof rack tube for the eye bolts, one for each tube. Trimmed down the eye bolts since they were sticking out to much. The nuts are right up against the end caps on the tube so the only way the it comes off is if I twist the eye bolt from below.

The electrical tape wraps around the pool noodle will deteriorate really fast, I am thinking of spraying it with a few coats of Plasidip which has help up very well over the last five years on my truck bumper, sprayed the chrome with black Plasidip. I think it would hold up really well in the elements and will not come off like the electrical tape.

Anyhow easy DIY project for those who don't want to spend $150 on a Rod Rack mount. If I don't have enough Plasidip left in the can I have in the shed, I will have to go buy a can which will set me back another $6 bringing the project cost to about $12. Still beats $150.

Front DIY Fly Rod Rack

Back DIY Fly Rod Rack

On the back end of the rack I noticed the second rod on the left was moving quite a bit and the others were pretty much locked in place. Will figure something out before I test it out.
    Benny

Thumbs up Rod Rack

Looks good. I like the price, too. Keep us posted on the test result.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Update on the rod holder, it worked out great! Drove up to 80 miles an hour with no issues over a four day period. Long uneven bumpy dirt roads, performed flawlessly.
    Benny

DIY is what this sport is all about. Nice job!
    Flytying, rodbuilding, roofrack modification, etc is always better than buying another accessory for your passion. Keep it simple.....Right?!
    I'm wild about native planters!