Thread: Stripers on spinning/casting gear help

Default Stripers on spinning/casting gear help

I'm planning on taking a buddy of mine fishing on the Lower A tomorrow for Stripers and Shad. He has almost no experience fly fishing but he's going to give it a go anyway. I have a feeling that he will most likely be fishing with a casting rod or a spinning outfit if we can't get him to fish a fly rod effectively. I have a bit of experience with both species on the fly but none whatsoever on gear.... I'm hoping a few of you folks on here can give me some insight on how to fish for either species on that type of equipment.

Thanks for the help!

Rapala's and any swim baits that imitate wounded bait fish. Top water poppers early morning and evening. Try to mimic something like shad with all the shad that are in the river right now.

Rebel and Rapala lures plus Jigs like the Hair Razor work for Stripers, especially early and late in the day?

Broadway Bait, Rod & Gun in Sacramento and Fisherman's Warehouse in Rancho Cordova could help you with Shad and Stripers artificials.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

When necessary on the Columbia River, we used to toss our standard shad bugs with a couple split-shot and do well. I see by observation that it works on the Sac too. I see they use a bobber and a bug on the American.....but if the tug is your drug, I'd use the shot.
    ....lee s.

chatterbaits and swimbaits are cost effective (and single hook)

can't go wrong with rattletraps...another relatively cost effective bait that produces. I'd also suggest bringing a couple spoons if fish are holding deep...

for topwater...heddon spooks for stripers or live target poppers for bass would be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    I'm planning on taking a buddy of mine fishing on the Lower A tomorrow for Stripers and Shad. He has almost no experience fly fishing but he's going to give it a go anyway. I have a feeling that he will most likely be fishing with a casting rod or a spinning outfit if we can't get him to fish a fly rod effectively. I have a bit of experience with both species on the fly but none whatsoever on gear.... I'm hoping a few of you folks on here can give me some insight on how to fish for either species on that type of equipment.

Thanks for the help!

CHECK YOUR PMS.
    The text was voluminous such that I had to send in TWO MESSAGES...
    Good Luck tomorrow

I do a mix bag of conventional and fly for stripers during striper season. I also take a lot of friends out with conventional and get them into fish. My 2 go to baits are the 5in-8in soft plastic paddle tail bait fish imitations in pearl or white thrown on a 1/4 oz-1/2 jig heads. My absolute striper catcher for conventional would be lucky craft 100sp and 128sp pointers in chartreuse shad and American shad colors. These are a tad pricey $16.00 but will guarantee hook ups if you are throwing them in holes with stripers. For the pointers have him do 3 or 4 reels to get the bait suspending at 3-5 ft down and pop,pop,pop pause to a quick half crank of the reel then pause and repeat. Hope this helps!

-Cheers!

Thanks for all the advice! We fished yesterday for many long, hot hours with only 3 fish to show for it. Hopefully next time we can find a few more willing fish.

Mark (Steelies), I just tried to send you a PM but it said you're inbox is full. Hopefully it'll still go through after you make some room?