Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit River Access...Ruling Creek Campground?

Default Pit River Access...Ruling Creek Campground?

Anyone know or been up to the Pit lately? I know you can access Pit #3 from the top in from Burney. Sounds like you can't get through from Big Bend yet. What I want to know specifically is if access to Ruling Creek Campground is possible at this time? Long drive to find out I don't have a place to camp lol.

Was thinking of heading to the McCloud but heard it was beyond a zoo, even during the week. Looking for other options. Pit would be great, if I can access the campground.

Any help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TyV View Post
    Anyone know or been up to the Pit lately? I know you can access Pit #3 from the top in from Burney. Sounds like you can't get through from Big Bend yet. What I want to know specifically is if access to Ruling Creek Campground is possible at this time? Long drive to find out I don't have a place to camp lol.

Was thinking of heading to the McCloud but heard it was beyond a zoo, even during the week. Looking for other options. Pit would be great, if I can access the campground.

Any help appreciated.
    Why couldn't you get to the campground? Doesn't The Fly Shop know?

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    Why couldn't you get to the campground? Doesn't The Fly Shop know?
    There are washouts and road damage from winter storms. Plus possibly some normal road work. Fly Shop does NOT know when I called yesterday! No access from Big Bend. Heard possibly some days you can get all the way to Pit 4 from Burney but not all days. As when they are working no traffic gets through. Not verified. That's why I am looking for help and info here. Anyone???

Looking at the USFS road maps it looks like the road getting to Ruling Creek if coming from the dam at Lake Britton is open. The lower stretches on Pit 4 and Pit 5 are closed. Now PG&E is charged with maintaining that road and have a generating station and maintenance facility on that road which is near the campground. So if you could get a hold of someone at PG&E that works up there they could probably tell you. There is no info on the status of the campground that I could find.

Try this #, (530) 335 5640. It's for PG&E's office on Black Ranch Rd. in Burney. Ask for the Hydro department and they should have the information your needing.

Quote Originally Posted by GLC View Post
    Try this #, (530) 335 5640. It's for PG&E's office on Black Ranch Rd. in Burney. Ask for the Hydro department and they should have the information your needing.
    I tried this number yesterday says it has been disconnected .
    Has anyone verified status of the road from Lake Britton down to Ruling Creek campground? Hoping to head out that way soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbers View Post
    I tried this number yesterday says it has been disconnected .
    Has anyone verified status of the road from Lake Britton down to Ruling Creek campground? Hoping to head out that way soon.
    Just spoke with PG&E regarding road status on the Pit River Road. Access has been restored to Pit 4, it should be open all the way to Ruling Creek CG from either direction. (For certain: accessible via Lake Britton /4 corners). Pit 5 flows are high ~ 2k+ due to powerhouse outage & the Pit 5 road is closed: won't be open until fall sometime. Pit 3 & 4 are at current minimum instream flows . Good luck. Should be good time to be up there.
    Last edited by Tfisher; 06-29-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    Carpe Piscis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ><((((º>
    ><((((º> ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Tfisher View Post
    Just spoke with PG&E regarding road status on the Pit River Road. Access has been restored to Pit 4, it should be open all the way to Ruling Creek CG from either direction. (For certain: accessible via Lake Britton /4 corners). Pit 5 flows are high ~ 2k+ due to powerhouse outage & the Pit 5 road is closed: won't be open until fall sometime. Pit 3 & 4 are at current minimum instream flows . Good luck. Should be good time to be up there.

Thanks so much for the quick reply I really appreciate it

Fished the Pit last weekend, drove in from Burney. Only saw one other group on the water, only one camper/fisherman at Ruling. We stayed at the "primitive" campground just down the road. Fishing was decent considering how hot it was but we managed a few, seemed partial to a smaller dark fly (ap, copper john black, etc) on the bottom with an emerging type lighter caddis on top, 50/50 on the take. Watch for snakes, they are out and of course poison oak (I found them both). Fished 3 and 4, both good, wading was manageable but be safe...

Jack, sounds great. I love 3 & 4. Went last August and nailed them on a similar combination of flies. Any road blockages? I stopped by Ted Fay today on my way back from a family vacation and heard 3 is at minimum flow, but 4 is a tad higher than minimum. Any observations.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river