Thread: My First Shad...a couple thank yous

Default My First Shad...a couple thank yous

I caught my first Shad a couple days ago. It had been a couple months since steelhead season withought a tug. I got my fix.

This unfortunately was not a planned fishing trip.....I had litttle gear with me.
    I stopped by Kienes fly shop. I grabbed some flies and had a nice chat with Andy Guibord.

The river was very high and although I am a big guy who often wades where others will not.
    This river at high flows is Heavy and swirly. I felt like a statisitc waiting to happen, so I found some soft water even though I felt a little far from the action.

I only had a few hours...... working my way up river, just before dark at my fourth spot, standing waist deep casting as far as I could......I connected.
    The shiny white shad fly that Andy suggested was the one. Not far from where he had reccomended to go.

Thanks Andy!!

I would also Like to thank Bill Lowe who helped me dial in my fisrt two handed rod many years ago. I never had a chance to meet Bill in person but he was so generous with his time and his love for fly fishing was so contagious. I hooked my shad on the very rod he helped me pick out many years ago. It is so cool that he is still helping the fly fishing community with his excellent instructional videos!!

Congratulation........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyhunter007 View Post
    I caught my first Shad a couple days ago. It had been a couple months since steelhead season withought a tug. I got my fix.

This unfortunately was not a planned fishing trip.....I had litttle gear with me.
    I stopped by Kienes fly shop. I grabbed some flies and had a nice chat with Andy Guibord.

The river was very high and although I am a big guy who often wades where others will not.
    This river at high flows is Heavy and swirly. I felt like a statisitc waiting to happen, so I found some soft water even though I felt a little far from the action.

I only had a few hours...... working my way up river, just before dark at my fourth spot, standing waist deep casting as far as I could......I connected.
    The shiny white shad fly that Andy suggested was the one. Not far from where he had reccomended to go.

Thanks Andy!!

I would also Like to thank Bill Lowe who helped me dial in my fisrt two handed rod many years ago. I never had a chance to meet Bill in person but he was so generous with his time and his love for fly fishing was so contagious. I hooked my shad on the very rod he helped me pick out many years ago. It is so cool that he is still helping the fly fishing community with his excellent instructional videos!!
    Cool man... I'm not into shad AND I'm a gear guy...
    but I really appreciate modesty and humility and gratitude among fellow anglers.
    Seems you got a lot of each of those virtues
    I know/knew the others you mentioned, both good guys.
    Congrats~