Thread: McCloud River Update

Default McCloud River Update

Just spent a couple days fishing the McCloud. I would rate the fishing as good to excellent. The flows were perfect at 280 CFS and water clarity was 4-5 ft. All sorts of bugs poppn. PMD's, big golden stones, yellow stones, drakes, etc. What was working? Honestly, something with some jazz subsurface. Think pyscho BH prince trailed by a stonefly. Dry fly fishing was really good. Stimulators and drakes. Crowds were light. Not sure what it is but the folks I meet on the McCloud are some of the nicest anywhere. Sure go ahead and fish that spot above me.... Too often we hear the negative stuff.

I went by the upper sac but the McCloud was fishing so good I didn't bother. Flows on Upper were around 1200. I like them in the 700 range but I'm sure people are caching fish.

Lastly, go see Bob at Ted Fay Fly Shop. Not a better person in the biz. Give him your patronage. He always sets me up good and its not a trip up in that area without a stop in to swap stories and catch up.

Weather coming in.. I got lucky and beat it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	12999

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	13000

Was there over Memorial Day weekend. Always an awesome spot to wet a line.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Was there over Memorial Day weekend. Always an awesome spot to wet a line.
    Its arguably the most beautiful place on earth. (at least I think so). There is something majestic about the water and environment. And the fishing happened to be spectacular.

Oh, be alert for those rattlers.... I had a pretty close encounter.

My first ever fishing report

I just came back from 3 days at McCloud. I spent most of the time at the conservancy and it was great. Many complained that the fishing was slow but I did very well so I wanted to offer some of my observations for the ones going there for the 4th of July:

1. Fish deep runs. Skip pocket water. I must be a hater but I sincerely don’t understand why people like to fish pocket water so much and waste their time and energy navigating all those stones and fighting the current. It is especially bad idea in the middle of the day as you will be baking in sun in the middle of the river and get tired sooner.
    2. Fish deep. I carry a 10’6 nymphing rod so I could tie a very long leader (and have a better control of the drift). Sure, casting a dry fly is not as fun with it but still manageable and it makes nymphing much better.
    3. Black rubber legs and a very small (18?) black pheasant tail nymph behind it. If you don’t get action in the morning tie it again in the afternoon.
    4. Dry fly action in the morning and late in the evening. I got no takes at 6pm and then it all started at 8. I think that too many of us are so eager to switch to dry fly fishing that we see a single 4 inch trout rise and take it as a godsend sign that dry fly time has started. Whereas nymph fishing is at its best. Nymphs worked well for me up until 8pm and then I gave up and switched to dry fly.
    5. Get out from the crowd. Sure, on Saturday everyone and their mother was at the conservancy. But you can still get away from the crowd if you are willing to hike an extra mile and try less accessible spots.

I must also confess of being an accomplice in a brutal murder of a 20+ inch trout….After about 10 min of fight the trout started to give in and I was pulling it closer to the bank. And then a baddie (a.k.a. otter) appeared and tried to grab it in the water. I should have reacted faster and pulled the trout out of the water without fearing for the line to break as it took otter several attempts before it got hold of the trout. But eventually the otter won and I feel like I let the trout community down.

I hope this helps!

Tom

When the water warms up ( in the 60s) the pocket water in most rivers should fish better.

That first be run at the bottom of the pocket water and top of a big pool can hold some hogs.

I am very excited that we are getting so many detailed fishing reports. Thanks......

I spent my entire adult life helping people to have, hopefully, a better fishing experience.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Tom, that is a great report! Thanks for sharing. If you can manage I would encourage carrying 2 rods. I carry a 10ft 4wt sage for Nymphing and a old school Scott for dry flies on the Mccloud. I don't do the wading staff thing (yet).

One bit of wisdom I took from Bob at Ted Fay's is little black shit (yes he said that) works well on the Mccloud. So take that and run with it if you want.

Also, I talked to a few older lads when I was there fishing and they did just Ok. But from talking with them I got the feeling they were just happy to wet a line. In that setting I can't argue that.

Glad you did well! Sounds like you had a good game plan.