Thread: Acension bay

Default Acension bay

Getting close to booking a trip for next October. Wondering if anyone wants to recommend a lodge- thinking of staying at casa viejo chac. Anyone been there? Mostly, I am worried about the weather... cold fronts, rain, hurricanes, etc. have not fished that part of the world except in spring. Unfortunately it looks like October is probably the only time I can get away --don't have a lot of flexibility about when I go.… But if I thought it was 50-50 that we would be blown off the water more than a couple days out of the week I would probably not spend the money. Any thoughts guys?
    Thanks in advance
    Jim

http://www.kienesflyfishingtravel.co...-fishing-lodge

Many of my friends have gone to Pesca Maya Lodge for years.

One friend takes his wife there a lot.

You are at the end of the hurricane season but it should be warm with no cold weather.

After reading everything on tropical flats fishing, talking to thousands of guides and SW anglers, going down there for 30 years with groups, plus having a home in Florida, on average, April, May June and Oct/Nov seem to be the traditional months for this flats fishing around the Equator.

Going in the winter, Dec/Jan/Feb/March is a risk of cold fronts just like we get all winter in Florida. They usually last 2 or 3 days. Winter is a good time for a couples trips where fishing is not the main event.

I like July for baby Tarpon though, up in the northwestern Yucatan, which is kind of on the front end of the hurricane season.

Hurricane season is June through November. Ocean surface temp needs to be at least 85 degrees down in the Caribbean to get a hurricane started.

This said, the weather down there is very unpredictable.....but you just have to go.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Pesca Maya is a good choice. May want to look at Casa Blanca. On south end of bay so sees fewer boats on that end.