Thread: big island hawaii report

Default big island hawaii report

Had my two cousins over with me for a big island adventure, they really liked Waipio valley.

Took them offshore for a day, we went all around but only got this one small ahi. Anna was stoked, and we made ahi kabobs for pupuus.

I took them inshore fishing over in Kona and got this nice yellow spot. They are the best eating trevally. I hooked a 10lb bone, but it straightened my hook like a bobby pin.

They left and I went offshore yesterday and got this 30lb ono, and a couple of mahi. We also got about two dozen small ahi and aku. My friend's son needed poke for a party. Hope you summer's are off to a good start. I go to LA and San Diego next week and have a mako on the fly day set up for father's day with my son and brother in law. Later in June I will be in Montana for some trout action on the bitteroot and rock creek. I have a float set up for the blackfoot. Should be a good trip. I will post pics when I get back. Mems.
    Don Memmer

I'm still waiting for some ONO POKE. Hopefully this week

Hey Don
    Glad to see your getting some good eating fish! The makos are a lot of fun Tony Buzolich and I fished for them a couples years ago I got one about 70 lbs. it kicked my a$$ lots of jumps like billfish I hope you get in to them. My wife and I are headed down to Cancun the 15th I'll be fishing for bonefish permit and tarpon on fathers day I hope they are hunger.
    Jim May

Don.
    Good to see a report from you. It's been a while. Thanks!

Any chance you'll be fishing with Dave Trimble in San Diego ? Jim and I fished with him a couple of years ago and had great fun. Jim got a mako and I got a small blue shark on a 5 wt. while fishing for mackeral for bait.

Geez , I miss Kona. Aloha, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Default Visit/Fishing....

Hi Don,.... Looks like a great visit and fishing. The first (scenery) photo is really very pretty. Kinda wish I was there for some surf fishing. I'm with Jay for some Ono poke, maybe I'll get to eat some while down at La Ventana in a few days.

Good luck on your Shark trip. Sharks are always fun on a fly....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown