Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tying the Charlie Bisharat's Pole Dancer

Default Pole Dancer....

Flyfisher70,.... Your copy of the Pole Dancer looks good so far. You mentioned that your copy was heavier than the original. I would say that's because you chose to use a soft foam popper head. How about using a hard foam head. It should be just as easy too Dremel out the hard foam as the one you're using and will result in a lighter popper....

Another video you might find instructive youtube is the Zaggin Zook at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeatp-UTY7M
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey guys,
    I decided to tie up some of Charlie Bisharat's Pole Dancer flies with some tweaks. The only thing these have in common with Charlie's wonderful fly is just the looks. I use completely different materials and also a larger saltwater hook. My flies are intended for use on big, mean saltwater fish and so I tied them very heavy duty.*I believe the tan version might be the magic ticket for fooling the Roosters and that the gray and olive will work great on the Dorado. I also tied up a larger Dorado-colored fly about 6 inches long for tossing to Sailfish.

Carl Blackledge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gray Belly Dancer 2.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	14172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Olive Belly Dancer 2.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	14176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Large Belly Dancer.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	14175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Large Belly Dancer 2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	14174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gray Belly Dancer.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	14173  

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Hey guys,
    I decided to tie up some of Charlie Bisharat's Pole Dancer flies with some tweaks. The only thing these have in common with Charlie's wonderful fly is just the looks. I use completely different materials and also a larger saltwater hook. My flies are intended for use on big, mean saltwater fish and so I tied them very heavy duty.*I believe the tan version might be the magic ticket for fooling the Roosters and that the gray and olive will work great on the Dorado. I also tied up a larger Dorado-colored fly about 6 inches long for tossing to Sailfish.

Carl Blackledge
    Here are a few more colors

Name:	Tan Belly Dancer.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	14179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tan Belly Dancer 2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	14178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tan BD Top View.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	14177  

I believe the original ones are 6-8” long. The smaller version they sell is around 3-5”

Hey Guys,

Here are a few pictures of the Belly Dancer fly tied up on a plastic tube. The reason for tying it on a tube is to adjust the wiggle factor with differing lengths of the plastic tube as well as the rubber tube that connects to the hook. Making the rubber tube longer or shorter allows you to use hooks of different weights that will change how the fly sits in the water (its angle). I plan to use these in Mexico and* my hope is that the guides will be able to just grab the fly and pull it out of harm's way and then take their pliers and remove the hook, leaving the fly unharmed. If this fly works half as good as the tube crease fly, I'll be a happy camper.

Carl Blackledge

Name:	Tube Belly Dancer.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	14196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tube Belly Dancer with Hook.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	14195  

Default Bisharat's Pole Dancer

I've been wondering what the sudden interest in tying the Pole Dancer was (other than the price) and found out this morning that commercial production of the Pole Dancer was discontinued. Result: the large version/size f this fly is now being sold for $30.00. There's been an increase in all sizes of remaining inventory, as well. Oh well....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,

I tie my version of the pole dancer and it's called the belly dancer I can sell my version for about 4 times less then the price you mentioned. My version is on a Saltwater hook and either in a tube or fixed hook. My version was tested this year in Loreto and passed all tests with flying colors with 3 different guys catching Dorado over 40 pounds and no harm to the fly.

Carl Blackledge

Default Belly Dancer

Hi Carl,.... I've been following you reports from Loreto. Very good trip and the Belly Dancer di some major damage to the fish population.

Because of how the Belly Dancer is weighted, I'm not sure about how the Belly Dancer will "walk the dog" as the Pole Dancer is used in the Delta. Seems like the weight being placed further forward on the shank is to allow the fly to be stripped rapidly in a straight line. What's your experience with it??

Author unknown

Darian,

Good point and good observation on your part. My opinion is there are two different ways to tie the Belly Dancer, For Dorado and Rooster's maybe just a few wraps of lead in the rear to give the fly some weight to sink the fly in the film and to support co-efficiency for decent casting, Dorado and Rooster's like the fly super fast as opposed to a fly that is slow and tantalizing.*

For Stripers I do add a lot more rear weight cause I think they like the fly slower and tantalizing like in "walk the dog"* I have sent this fly to a few top Striper guys to play with and send me back suggestions. I also tie the Striper version with a tube which makes it very versatile and easy to change the rear weight as easy as changing the hook.

The bottom line is the Dorado and Rooster version is as good or better then anything I have used and was a big hit in Loreto, the Striper version is still being tested.* my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Default Belly Dancer

Thanks for the reply. Your fly has some versatility to it. I'll be interested in following your results from Striper guys and fishing.

Author unknown