Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need MAJOR ASSISTANCE with a Delta boat???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

Get a boat for what you are doing with it most of the time.
    This is HUGE, and I FINALLY figured this out on boat #17! How many people will you have on the boat most of the time? For many of us, it's one or two, and THAT should be your sizing parameter, not the 20% of the time you'd like to have a couple more. Same with the water--if you want to fish the salt once or twice a year and the rest is going to be fresh water, then rent a larger boat for a day when you need it. I'd like to have a pontoon boat sometimes, but not enough to invest $30K into one, so I rent several times a year in different parts of the country. Doesn't matter the cost--it's WAY cheaper than owning and so much easier to walk away when you're done.

I would bet that 90% of the boats and RVs sit most of the time.

If you have a schedule where you really can't go much I would not buy a boat.
    Another way to look at it is the actual cost which is the purchase price plus maintenance and repair and insurance, less cash out if you want to sell. It's not that hard to find a boat that might need a little cosmetic work where you can come out a little ahead, allowing a rental factor of say $300 a day for each day you use it. I might not use my Whaler for a couple of months, then have it out twice a week for a few weeks, then it sits again. It's totally worth it to me to have it there when I need to get something between me and the water other than a float tube, or when I just feel like taking a ride for a few hours. If I can come out with a 1% a year gain on my net invested cost, it's like having the money in a savings account. It's personal, but I cannot not own at least one boat. Bill Kiene, you are the same and you know it!!
    Last edited by JAWallace; 06-17-2017 at 04:38 PM.

I've been in the delta and fly fished on/in a number of platforms from a float tube to a 25 cuddly cabin.
    For me the choice of boat is highly personal, but functionality dictates the choice.

Ideal boat for all conditions doesn't exist. I think the most comfortable rig I've fished was a ranger z91, w a 275 on, and it was awesome, but also close to 80,000 dollars.

My personal boats have ended up being whalers, I've had a classic 16/17, outrage 18, (never should have let that one go), and latest is a classic 15. (John, you have me worried about the stability w your comment btw).

It's not an easy find in this area, but for my money that's the best OVERALL delta rig.

After owning several boats, as others have said it comes down to what you want to do with it. A Whaler is a great boat w/fantastic versatility...but at a price: It's very heavy. That means more gas and bigger vehicle to pull (as w/all fiberglass boats) and bigger engine, bigger gas tank and more cost to run.

For those reasons, I settled on a boat that was light, easy to pull and would sip the gas...on the water and off. A big Yamaha or Honda four stroke is going to weigh a lot....a lot more than an Evinrude e-tech. My 50HP is nearly 100 lbs less than a 4 stroke....so much so I had to move the axel on the trailer because it was set up a for a heavy stroke. I run a Lowe Rough neck 17, does about 34mph and can run for more than two days on 13 gallons...and I can pull it w/a four cylinder car (1,000 lbs, boat, trailer, etc). Will it handle rough water like a Whaler....heck no. Will you go out and through lead core on those days?...I don't. My etec never smokes and runs cleaner than a 4 stroke (ask the Tahoe Regional water agency, which outlawed older two strokes and runs only etec's on their boats patrolling the lake, not 4 strokes). It starts every time, w/in one or two cranks...even after months of no use. 1 service every three years, no valves to adjust, etc.... best decision I've made on motor, period. Ask anyone who owns one....they'll never go back to a four stroke. Different strokes for different folks. Just one data point. This forum is great for providing a few. Good luck w/your search.

Fiberglass boats are not necessarily lighter than tin boats. There are a number of aluminum boats heavier than a Whaler in the 15' and 17' sizes. For glass, Whalers are very light, especially the classics. The new hulls can be almost twice as heavy as the classics but they have much greater volume. Most of us old Whaler guys hate the current hulls for the small boats for fresh water. We see Sea Ray first, Whaler as an afterthought. They are more versatile though--you can use them as a sport boat too.

Another thing I've learned over the years is when looking at smaller boats especially, say <18', try to get something that's popular in our area. This is good for parts, service, and resale, plus there's usually a reason why certain boats are heavily owned, or not owned, in a given region.

Most small aluminum boats in our area have a modified V hull, tapering down to a flat to 3° deadrise at the stern. The clipper bow is helpful for tracking and for some chop, but speaking from experience it renders about one third of the boat nearly unusable for standing for casting. A jon boat, flat or slightly V'd hull is more stable, has much more usable space, but will not take any kind of chop well. Always a trade off. For glass boats, which I strongly prefer (I am in the local minority too), I only fish tri or cathedral hulls for the same reasons as the jon style hull, except the Whaler or similar hulls can take quite a lot of chop, although you'll feel it and may get wet in some models.

Whalers 13-17' are popular, hold their value probably better than any other similar sized boat, and are nearly always easy to sell with much if any loss. The G3 16-20' boats are also widely owned, as are the Lowe Roughneck jons. Any will work, but just watch the hull width as lots of jons have narrow bottoms that will capsize with a good sneeze. The disadvantage of the Whaler is they aren't good in rivers; the jon hulls are but will beat you up in the Delta under anything less than calm conditions. Again, trade offs. Or better, two or more boats .

Good info, especially the last sentence, I just picked up my 4th boat, a 11'4" Boston Whaler, my wife does not get it.
    I do. HeHe
    There is no perfect boat for those of us who like to fish for many species in many places. Some people collect cars, I collect boats and fish.
    I will start on customizing mine when it cools down for stillwater fishing, I wanted a small boat that would allow me to take a friend out. Fishing with friends and sharing the moments is priceless.
    Take your time and search for the right boat, the frustration of the wrong boat is a killjoy.
    Lots of great info on all the previous post, that why I enjoy this forum so much.
    Best of luck!

Those 11' Whalers are pretty hard to find. I would like one too, but have not found one that worked for me--good for you! Plus you can use a really small outboard and be just fine.

if you are looking for a flats boat for the Delta I would look at an East cape Vantage. It will take rougher water than the flats boat you are looking at.