Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need MAJOR ASSISTANCE with a Delta boat???

Default Need MAJOR ASSISTANCE with a Delta boat???

I know a lot of guys purchased a Lowe or G3 series for Delta striper fishing and I want to get the correct boat for the Delta. I've been doing a bunch of internet research and the Florida, N.C, S.C. and Texas fly fishing addicts use a boat like these:

http://www.ankonaboats.com/copperhead/

They talk about it being perfect for "skinny water" which isn't an issue for Delta fishing but being someone with zero experience in fishing the Florida or Texas "chop"; what would be the MAJOR REASONS why a type of boat like this will not work in our Delta?? I understand there is minimal need for the casting and poling platforms and the install of a bow electric motor.

Thanks in advance......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	12977  
    Last edited by Terry Imai; 05-30-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Better clarification

You have to handle rough water on the Delta period!!!

Other wise you have to pick your days and hide more often than fish, esp in the spring.

If that boat can handle it safely and you don't get drenched then it would be worth the effort.

I would recommend as heavy duty big water handling boat is best then you can fish whenever wherever.

Hope this helps.

As far as platforms etc.. as long as you have a deck or two to cast on your perfect.

Great boat, but the deck sits too high for me. I prefer the deck being recessed for delta/bay boats. Too many rollers and things that try to knock you and your bucket into the water. Also, it is very nice if the person in the back can stand down when casting (kids, older folks, etc.). Being up on the deck all day is a workout on a windy day. You feel like you have tried to curl your toes around a branch just to hang on all day.

My $0.02 from 20+ years of fishing the Delta.

Good luck with your boat search.

Dan

Look into a 195 series bass tracker style aluminum boat. It's what I have been with in the Delta most of the time and great boat!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Here's my $.02

Are you still working full time? If so, I wouldn't sink a lot of money into a specialized boat like the one you posted. Instead, opt for what has been suggested to you in the past....... 15'-17' original Montauk. You can take that boat from Klamath Lake to the Farrallon Islands.

It's too hard to find the time when not retired...... hard to match time off with ideal water/weather/fish conditions. And, the fisheries in CA are honestly, not good enough to rely on each year. Which is why many of us don't pull the trigger and buy a boat!
    There are too many issues and policies that work against fisheries in CA. It's good here one year, then there, then over there...... You need to be flexible and adjustable with your fishing and boating. Don't sink all your dollars into one boat for one place in CA. Do that IF you're in Florida or Venice, LA, or even Portland, OR, etc.

I hate to be negative, but all you have to do is look at what little fishing tackle and boating manufacturers are spending in marketing in CA. Boston Whaler, arguably, the most popular fishing vessel sold has only ONE Northern CA dealer and two in Southern CA. That says it all.

But, I digress.......

Look at a Ranger RB190. Rangers have outstanding fit and finish. Great resale value. This hull will track well in the water as it's being pulled by the TM. Not a whole lot of fun when your boat is fishtailing in a steady breeze with your TM working 10X harder, etc. not to mention trying to fish in that.......
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 05-31-2017 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Add suggestion

OceanSunfish.....The voice of reason. I owned a 17' Montauk back in the mid 80's while stationed at Mare Island, Vallejo. Without a doubt the best boat I've ever owned. I used that boat all over the Delta/SF Bay and even out of Bodega Bay. Sold it shortly before retiring from the Navy and moving to Idaho.

His point about buying a specialized boat is spot on! If you're a guide and fish the same kind of water day after day then specialized is great. If, like me, you cherish variety then the a medium center console like the Montauk is a wise choice. Many times I've regretted selling that Montauk but it was truly at home in the delta and inshore salt. My latest toy is a Gheenoe, a very specialized Florida boat. I'm thinking it's not at home in Idaho but it was interesting when I first saw it.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Imai View Post
    I know a lot of guys purchased a Lowe or G3 series for Delta striper fishing and I want to get the correct boat for the Delta. I've been doing a bunch of internet research and the Florida, N.C, S.C. and Texas fly fishing addicts use a boat like these:

http://www.ankonaboats.com/copperhead/

They talk about it being perfect for "skinny water" which isn't an issue for Delta fishing but being someone with zero experience in fishing the Florida or Texas "chop"; what would be the MAJOR REASONS why a type of boat like this will not work in our Delta?? I understand there is minimal need for the casting and poling platforms and the install of a bow electric motor.

Thanks in advance......
    Deep V hull.........plenty of freeboard..............preferably 18' or longer. The delta winds can kick up a big chop especially when crossing the open water areas.

I agree with most of the other replies, but I think you are better off posting this question on Dan Blanton's message board. You will likely get input from all the delta vets including Dan himself, who has guided and fished the delta and bay for about 100 years. At the end of the day it's personal preference. Some guys fish 12' aluminums. That flats boat would do fine on the delta by the way. Check out the other flats boat manufactures like East Cape Skiffs and Maverick Boats too.

For me, the Boston Whaler is the best choice for an all around boat for the west coast. I've had a 13, 17, and now a 15 and prefer the 150 Sport hull with side steering over the center console as you have much more room. The CC is nice for rough water and salt, otherwise it just gets in the way. Nothing wrong with a 13' Whaler either, and it's still safe and large enough to fish one or two. The 17' Montauk Classic is a GREAT hull, better for fly fishing than the newer 170 hull as it's closer to the water and just more intimate. The only one to avoid is the 15' classic as it's great at cutting through chop but primary stability is far less than the 13 or 17 hulls, same goes for the 13' Dauntless.

Cannot agree more about recessed decks, especially for the Delta. Those flats boats are built for smooth water which we routinely see in Florida and Texas, not on the West Coast. That's why they are not sold here.

You might have to look a lot but used boats can be a great deal.

Try to get a Yamaha or Honda 4 stroke.

Try to get 80 to 100% max horse power

Get a boat for what you are doing with it most of the time.

Nice if you can find something with low hours that has been kept inside?

Talk to Andy on the weekends about boats.

Remember, we are fly fishing so if the weather is really bad we might just stay home.

Also some deep-V boats are good for big water but they also seem to rock more than a boat with 10 degrees or less.

I would bet that 90% of the boats and RVs sit most of the time.

If you have a schedule where you really can't go much I would not buy a boat.

If you have a lot of money and have a place to keep a boat inside, then go for it.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........