Thread: Boat wiring help

Default Boat wiring help

Hoping someone on here with a little experience with wiring and electricity can give me some advice...

I have finished all the other work on my new boat and the wiring is the final piece to make her ready to fish. I need help figuring out how to wire a few different components into the system. Nothing too fancy just what has been recommended by Minn Kota primarily. I have a 55lb Endura that will be mounted on the bow about 7ft from the battery. I called Minn Kota and asked which circuit breaker and proper gauge wire to extend the power cables. They ended up advising me to get a 60 amp breaker and that 8awg wire would be fine to use as an extension.

I also Purchased a fuse box to tidy the rest of the wiring up for the navigation lights, fish finder and any future components.

So basically I'm just looking for someone to advise me on how to wire everything... A wiring diagram would be awesome!!! I have a bit of experience wiring lights, radios and other gadgets in my truck but they were all on separate fuses, wires and relays. The battery was the only thing they all had in common. It was really hokey and all I was concerned with was to just get the darn things to work. I've never messed with a breaker or nice fuse box. Anyway, thanks for your time! Any help is greatly appreciated!

is your trolling motor battery a dedicated battery or part of your main electrical system? I'd keep it separate if possible so you don't drain your main battery down

As of right now it is my only battery. I thought about getting a second one. Are you saying I should run the trolling motor to it's own battery and then have the lights and fish finder on a completely separate battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    As of right now it is my only battery. I thought about getting a second one. Are you saying I should run the trolling motor to it's own battery and then have the lights and fish finder on a completely separate battery?
    do you have a gas engine that uses that battery to start too or only a trolling motor? that was my main concern. You defintly need more than a single battery if using it to kick up a gas motor.

even with a gas motor, batteries are cheap relatively speaking. I would have two and run the troller off one then you could use the FF/light battery as a back-up. You will need that back-up battery to get home assuming no gas engine

two is one....one is none
    Last edited by BenFishin; 05-30-2017 at 11:14 AM.

No electric start on the gas motor but I DO have one on the boat. She's an older Evinrude with a pull start. So the trolling motor, Fish finder and navigation lights will be the only thing requiring any power.

Just saw that Wal Mart has marine deep cycle batteries for 60 bucks. Might just get one of those. Can't really afford the more expensive ones right now.
    Last edited by Sheepdog8404; 05-30-2017 at 02:24 PM.

This is really simple stuff. As Ben said, you do need a dedicated battery for the trolling motor, with a 60 amp breaker (Minn Kota brand is what I have) between the battery and motor. Done. Just keep the lateral boat weight balance in mind.

You can use the other battery for your running lights, sonar, etc. Simple fuse holders are fine, find them online from Blue Sea.

If you want to bring it by the house sometime I have most if not all of the connections and with a couple of hours work we can get it done. You know how to reach me.