Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry fly sighter

Default dry fly sighter

Except for short casts in soft water, my aging eyesight won't allow me to track dry flies, especially the micro patterns that get lost as soon as they touch down.
    Has anyone experimented with adding a hi-vis yarn sighter 10-12" from their dry? I seem to remember reading about this method somewhere.
    Although a second floater can introduce current drag on the main fly, the frustrations of not tracking my fly seem worse.
    Is a device like this fish-spooky? Any suggestions on proper materials and rigging knot appreciated.
    cranky

I've never used a yarn sighter. In low-viz situations I do a double dry set-up. Big hi-viz fly on top (like a Chubby) with the small fly as dropper.

I also like Palsa Pinch-On adhesive indicators. They won't slip if you stick them on the leader at the tippet knot.

Same problem here RH. 70 year old eyes just can't see that well. I used to tie size 12-14 Parachute Adams with a foam post in various colors to account for sky conditions. Always left the post a little long too. How far I dropped the "Fishin" fly back from the indicator depended on where I was fishing. Over the years that indicator has gotten a lot attention as well.

My Dad calls this 'neighborhood fishing'. If something rises in the neighborhood of the fly he can see, he sets the hook. works well for him! Para adams seems to float and be visible while not being spooky.

Tie in a pea sized (or smaller) chunk of polypro yarn anywhere in your leader with a simple overhand knot. The yarn acts as a cushion so the knot does not weaken the line. Only a very small tuft of yarn is needed. Treat it with floatant as you would a dry fly.

As said above, I use the neighborhood method as well. Seems like losing sight happens overnight and did with me last year on an evening fish. it sucks haha

@rh crank,
    Sent you a PM.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
    As said above, I use the neighborhood method as well. Seems like losing sight happens overnight and did with me last year on an evening fish. it sucks haha
    I lose flies on the water big and small when the glare is in the wrong place, which always seems to be the case when i'm fishing dries. My biggest problem not seeing the fly is not detecting strikes, its detecting drag. If I cant see the fly I don't know it its acting like a wake boat. I usually go with a big stimulator and then my target pattern 16 inches off the bend, but sometimes that can create unwanted action in the dropper fly.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

I tie my parachute flies with black and white posts a la Ralph Cutter's Bivisible. Game changer for me on glare issues. FWIW

Try Palsa indicators. Foam with a sticky-back that comes in a host of colors and useful for dries as well as nymphing shallow in technical waters.
    -JD