Thread: Frenchman Lake

Default Frenchman Lake

Fished today from about 830 till 1.

Dad and it got around 10 or so a piece and lost a bunch to pulled hooks.

Can't believe how much the water came up from last fall.

Good to hear.....anything over 14 inches ?

I was at Frenchman for a couple of days early this week. Fishing was slowish; I averaged 4-5 fish a day to the net with a lot of hooked/ lost fish. The fish went from about 16-19", nice, hard fighting fish. I fished tandem rigs, most effective was a small rust bugger with a #14 hares ear trailer. On Tuesday morning, there was a flying ant hatch and the fish were keying on them, with a lot of rising fish. Once I figured it out, I used a black Sheep Creek Special and started getting grabs. I fished a variety of lines, most effective seemed to be my clear intermediate sinking tip line fished very slowly. Like others have said, the water was really high and I blame that for the fishing being slow, same number of fish spread out over more water. Was still a good trip, there were quite a few guys out there fishing.

Tom

Pretty much all the fish are over 14 inches. I just started fishing Frenchman a little over a year ago since moving up to Reno. I've only fished big cove and the dam so I ended up fishing Frenchman Thursday- Saturday as we wanted to check out other areas of the lake. Thursday as mentioned in my post we fished big cove. Friday we fished lunker point and did about the same in the same time frame. Fish were same length but skinny. Saturday we fished turkey point. Fishing started out slow but once we found them, we got a bunch again. All in a few hours. We left them biting as my dad had a flight to catch.

I think the key to catching More than just a few, is having a fish finder to know the depth, knowing the depths that you get bit so you can work that zone and for finding drop offs/ledges.

Cousin Tommy and I were out at SnallyG on Saturday May 27th. Fishing was slow for us from 8:30am to 12:30pm. Didn't see any fish caught by boaters or bankies....and only saw ONE riser. But a good number of flying ants, floating biggie snails and blood midge hatching. Only one on each for us. Will try another day... And the water level was so amazingly high! Never saw it that high!

TPO --- What do you use for body material for a 'black sheep creek'?? G. Stone

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenStone View Post
    TPO --- What do you use for body material for a 'black sheep creek'??
    Good question! I always make Sheep Creeks with peacock herl (4-5 strands twisted up in a loop) or a green micro-chenille. They always seem to work pretty well as-is so I never considered a different body color.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenStone View Post
    TPO --- What do you use for body material for a 'black sheep creek'?? G. Stone
    Usually Chenille or Jay Fair "short shuck". Any kind of dubbing should work too.

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    Usually Chenille or Jay Fair "short shuck". Any kind of dubbing should work too.
    I second the jay fair materials. Been using nothing but his materials for the past 25 years.