Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polyleaders vesus Versileaders, the difference or is there any ?

Default Polyleaders vesus Versileaders, the difference or is there any ?

Hi Folks,

What is the difference between “Polyleaders and versi leaders” where you would use one over the other or is there a difference? I am looking to use one or the other at the end of a floating line to fish streamers or leeches in lakes for trout where the water is not to deep, places where my sink tip line keeps getting hung up. The specific applications/places I am interested in this set up include wading out from shore fishing places like Davis lake or Pyramid Lake.

I am thinking something in the 8 to 10 foot length, with a slow or moderate sink rate and a short tippet section at the end, 6 foot max. Thanks in advance for any advice/tips etc.

Bill
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

Verisleaders are the Rio version of Airflo Polyleaders. Or vice versa. Depends what company you like to support more They are one in the same.

For the applications you're referring to, especially at Lake Davis, a slow sinking or intermediate poly/versileader could indeed be a good option. Another option to consider is an intermediate line such as Rio InTouch CamoLux. You can fish that with a regular short mono/fluro tippet of 6-7' in length and is very useful for Lake Davis.

At Pyramid most of the guys are using faster sinking lines for stripping flies because the water is deeper and snags are less of an issue. A popular line out there is the Rio Outbound Short weight forward intermediate/S6 or the Rio Outbound Short coldwater custom.

Intermediate/slow sinking poly/versileaders are also useful for swinging emergers on rivers.

Some say the Rio Versi-leaders hold up best.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have also heard that Rio's Versaleaders are density compensated so the entire leader sinks at a uniform rate whereas the Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly.

Many do like the Airflo clear floating tips and the Rio floating tip are not clear, I think they are solid green.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    I have also heard that Rio's Versaleaders are density compensated so the entire leader sinks at a uniform rate whereas the Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly.
    This is a good point and I am not sure if it is true about Rio VL's someone here probably knows for certain. OPST tips are density compensated and this can be more important on lakes than in rivers IMO. Another good reason to use a relatively short tippet w/ these systems. the OP mentions using a 6' tippet, I tend more toward 2-3' of 0-3x depending on water clarity and size of the fish. the only time I go below 3x with one of these is if I'm fishing an emerger versus a streamer and even then takes can be very aggressive and you'll break fish off on the grab which is super frustrating.

Hey Guys, Thanks for the discussion on this topic, that was very helpful. While essentially the same thing it appears there may be some advantage (density compensated) to using Rio's Versa Leaders. I'll continue to follow this thread and do some experimenting with these leaders.

I always appreciate the help available on the forum!

Bill
    Bluegrass and Beyond!

Default Versileader

"....Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly."

Im not sure whether a wider diameter piece of poly leader would cut through the water faster than a narrower one of the same material, but, wouldn't you agree that a fly tied on a heavy hook or weighted would take the tippet section down faster than the thicker base section??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    "....Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly."

Im not sure whether a wider diameter piece of poly leader would cut through the water faster than a narrower one of the same material, but, wouldn't you agree that a fly tied on a heavy hook or weighted would take the tippet section down faster than the thicker base section??
    Makes perfect sense to me Darian!
    Bluegrass and Beyond!