Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webber Lake?

Default Webber Lake?

Was reading online that Webber lake is finally open to the public starting this year? Anyone have experience fishing there? I'm also wondering if the beautiful meadow next to it is open to fishing. The Trust website says fishing in general is allowed but it doesn't specifically say the meadow which the seemed to have made into a hiking trail...

Hi, I'm the caretaker for Webber Lake.

Yes, we are opening to the public this year. The meadow and creek are Lacey meadow and creek. Yes you can fish there, but the creek gets so low in the fall that it only sustains tiny Brookies. The trail- it's actually an old wagon road to meadow lake. It doesn't parallel the creek but it is never too far away. The farther upstream you go the better the fishing.
    There are changes to the lake coming that I thought good to post. The State is taking over management of the lake and is stocking lct. Webber has a reputation for being a hog farm, but it is because the private camp stocked hogs and grew them from there. (As opposed to a hog farm of wild fish). As mentioned Lacey runs too low for any real wild fish recruitment. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Unlike the conversation in an adjacent thread, Webber will be stocked with fingerlings so the fish grow in a lake and have more wild tendencies. The lake will be managed via the general regs- I know this has caused heartburn amoungst our two local ff clubs. However since it is now a public resource any reg change would be via the fish and game commission.

It's a beautiful lake and I hope to see everyone out there. We still can't get there so it'll be a while before the boat ramp is open.

I'm happy to communicate here or can be reached at john@tdlandtrust.org

Thanks
    John Svahn

QUOTE=BumbleZ;175695]Was reading online that Webber lake is finally open to the public starting this year? Anyone have experience fishing there? I'm also wondering if the beautiful meadow next to it is open to fishing. The Trust website says fishing in general is allowed but it doesn't specifically say the meadow which the seemed to have made into a hiking trail...[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by John Sv; 05-21-2017 at 04:15 PM.

P.s. we hope to have the campground open to the public August 1. Reservations will be available on tdlandtrust.org this week.

QUOTE=John Sv;175699]Hi im the caretaker for Webber.
    Yes we are opening to the public this year. The meadow and creek are Lacey meadow and creek. Yes you can fish there, but the creek gets so low in the fall that it only sustains tiny Brookies.
    There are changes to the lake coming that I thought good to post. The State is taking over management of the lake and is stocking lct. Webber has a reputation for being a hog farm, but it is because the private camp stocked hogs and grew them from there. (As opposed to a hog farm of wild fish). As mentioned Lacey runs too low for any real wild fish recruitment. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Unlike the conversation in an adjacent thread, webber will be stocked with fingerlings so the fish grow in a lake and have more wild tendencies. The lake will be managed via the general regs- I know this has caused heartburn amongst our two local ff clubs. However since it is now a public resource any reg change would be via the fish and game commission.
    It's a beautiful lake and I hope to see everyone out there. We still can't get there so it'll be a while before the boat ramp is open.
    Thanks
    John Svahn
    QUOTE=BumbleZ;175695]Was reading online that Webber lake is finally open to the public starting this year? Anyone have experience fishing there? I'm also wondering if the beautiful meadow next to it is open to fishing. The Trust website says fishing in general is allowed but it doesn't specifically say the meadow which the seemed to have made into a hiking trail...[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Reply John. I think managing the fishery would be good for fly fishermen. Even though there is no camping or boating yet, is it possible for me to park nearby and hike the shoreline and the upper and lower streams and fly fish? I'm strictly catch and release and barbless so, low impact for sure. I was thinking of driving up mid week to poke around...

Also, I notice on Google Maps that there is a section of the Little Truckee that runs within a mile of the lake and seems to be connected to the lake by a mile long feeder creek. Do you know if any of those little Brookies inhabit this stretch of the Little Truckee?

The property is open to the public all year. Currently you have to sled or xc ski/snowshoe out to get there- maybe 3-5 feet of snow still. You can park (I think) within 4 miles of the lake, then its about 1.5 miles to Lacey Valley. I'm going out Tuesday for another look-around, my info is about 5 days old and it has been warm. 5 days ago there were still 8 foot drifts in places.
    Have fun if you go!

Went by there last Wednesday. The road still has a sign saying it is closed to Wheeled Vehicles...

I drove out this morning. There is still a wall of snow 1/2 mile from the Webber turnoff.

Thanks for the Update John. Do they have the sign down now?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    P.s. we hope to have the campground open to the public August 1. Reservations will be available on tdlandtrust.org this week.

QUOTE=John Sv;175699]Hi im the caretaker for Webber.
    Yes we are opening to the public this year. The meadow and creek are Lacey meadow and creek. Yes you can fish there, but the creek gets so low in the fall that it only sustains tiny Brookies.
    There are changes to the lake coming that I thought good to post. The State is taking over management of the lake and is stocking lct. Webber has a reputation for being a hog farm, but it is because the private camp stocked hogs and grew them from there. (As opposed to a hog farm of wild fish). As mentioned Lacey runs too low for any real wild fish recruitment. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Unlike the conversation in an adjacent thread, webber will be stocked with fingerlings so the fish grow in a lake and have more wild tendencies. The lake will be managed via the general regs- I know this has caused heartburn amongst our two local ff clubs. However since it is now a public resource any reg change would be via the fish and game commission.
    Thanks
    John Svahn
    [/QUOTE]

Great info, thanks for sharing. Will be interesting to see how the transition from private to public goes and the effect on both the fishery and the lake itself. Also good to know about snow depth out there, was wondering about that...