Thread: From Oregon to the Lower Sac

Default From Oregon to the Lower Sac

Just got back from the Lower Deschutes. The Stonefly hatch was definitely starting up when I was there on Wednesday. The cool change in weather slowed the bit down until 1:00 and then it was on. Primarily throwing Norm Wood Chubby most of the day. East Lake opened just as I left on Friday. Lots of snow still.
    Guided trip on the Lower Sac on Friday produced lots of grabs. Micro caddis in a size #14-16 as the dropper off of a #6 Rubber legs (Pats in a dark brown). Highly recommended.

Sounds like GREAT trip! The Lower Sac has been fishing crazy good for the past couple of months. I believe it's going to fish good well into the summer months. Water does wonders!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic Fisherman View Post
    Just got back from the Lower Deschutes. The Stonefly hatch was definitely starting up when I was there on Wednesday. The cool change in weather slowed the bit down until 1:00 and then it was on. Primarily throwing Norm Wood Chubby most of the day. East Lake opened just as I left on Friday. Lots of snow still.
    Guided trip on the Lower Sac on Friday produced lots of grabs. Micro caddis in a size #14-16 as the dropper off of a #6 Rubber legs (Pats in a dark brown). Highly recommended.
    I spent 4 days last week fishing the Shasta region. The Upper Sac flows were all over the map, yo-yoing from 2200cfs to 1700cfs...the fishing was slow as a result and access points were very limited. I did get one very nice 16 inch fish at Mossbrae Falls. There were sporadic hatches including a few big Salmon Flies coming off, but the fish weren't keying in on them yet.

Hat Creek was dead. Three of us fished it hard all day from the riffle to the run below the fish barrier and had one fish. There were very few bugs coming off. I did have one cool experience in the riffle when a little 5 inch fish came right at me jumping across the surface and swam around behind me to hide from a huge 20 inch fish that was right on its tail. The little guy did a full lap around me and the big trout tail slapped me as he went by. Should have tied on a streamer.

Fished another spot that will remain nameless and it too had limited bug life, but a few big Salmon Flies were flopping around....but no surface action with the fish. Just about everything we caught was on a Jimmy Legs.

I think the whole season up there is about a month behind schedule. The Stones should be coming off in a couple of weeks.

Mt. Shasta looks AWESOME with snow from base to summit.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Default Report

Thanks for the great report guys. It is nice to know what is going on to the North of us.
    Gregg

THanks for reports
    Fly shop and others suggesting hat fishing really well , good to get another perspective.
    Love that area but might give it few more weeks